File Association for Laptops / Offline Clients

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by blanni, Feb 15, 2010.

1. blanni

blanni Guest

I've configured the File Association feature for some of my published applications such as Word, Excel, Adobe Reader, etc. which works really well when users are connected to the system.

Problem is I have a number of laptop users that need to access files using local programs when they're working offline. Currently though if they disconnect from the network and double click a file it always tries to open through the 2X client. Is there any way to get the 2X client to release the associations when it's not connected?

2. DVTSVito

DVTSVito Guest

I have been asking about this since 11/18/08 with tech support and have been told fixes were in the latest version. (Which at that time was version 7 something)
    Current testing still show it does not work

The redirect feature is great, but it causes a problem for some.
    In addition to the posters comments about offline clients (which is 100% valid) I will add this example:

The user has their copy of Office all ready setup locally for home use on their personal computer. The user will connect into the system with 2x and it redirects the extensions to the server. When the user disconnects, it leaves their local Office extensions unusable because they still point to 2x. Now, the user can not use their own copy of office till the extensions get re assigned.

This will generate many calls to IT.

The only other thing IT can do is create 2 different sets of published apps. One with redirection, one without. This makes it harder for us to manage.

The 2x client knows where to go to change the association, can’t something be done to back the keys up before redirection, then replace them when the session is done to leave local apps working?

If there is a way to currently fixe this, please let us know.
    If not, please put this on the list as a much need feature/fix

Thank you in advance
    Vito

3. jurgencachia

jurgencachia Guest

HI Vito

Are The user using same user name while they are at work/home.

Regards

4. DVTSVito

DVTSVito Guest

Hi jurgencachia,

Users will use their 2x creds for 2x.

For home users, i would say 99.9% of the time, the user name and pass. on their home computers are not the same
    as domain/2x creds.

Thanks!!!

5. davidsaliba

davidsaliba Guest

If you have a program installed locally I suggest you use that always.
    There's no point using the TS if they have a locally installed app.

We have a feature request to turn off some file associations from being over-ridden if a local application exists.

There will be a note on this when available in our changelogs :
    http://www.2x.com/downloads/vds/betaver ... ngeLog.txt

Thanks.

6. DVTSVito

DVTSVito Guest

David,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, ideally the best thing to do is always us the local app, but it is not always technically possible.
    Even with your feature request, it still might cause double app publishing. What if I need to have a computer with a local app redirect to our corporate servers for a specific reason?
    The 2x client doing an automatic “turn off” could cause another problems.

Don’t you think the better option is to backup and restore of the settings?
    Or better yet, detect if a local application is installed then do a backup and restore of the associations. On session end, the user can be prompted to restore their settings.

This is a function that the 2x client should do. Anything out side of the 2x clients adds much complexity for a solution. (GPO, VB script…so on)

I really do not want to sound like a pain with this, but take a look at the OP question; I am not the only one that has this concern.

OP, I would like to hear your thoughts. :)

Thanks again for your help.

7. davidsaliba

davidsaliba Guest

Hi,
    I see your point. There is a logical inconsistency however in having a client that automatically detect its being needed, and a local application being registered with a given extension.

I do get this issue locally but the reason is that I have two resources (pblished and local apps) and one trigger (namely the extension type).

Windows did take this into consideration for it is the same issue as having two or more applications registering the same extension,and some apps forcefully re-register an extension. If you install two apps ( local apps ) that can open .txt files for example the only way to select which one is going to open the app is right clicking an using the "open with" option. Since the published apps profiles get refreshed an updated periodically there is a tendency to place the published app back in the highest position on the list.

As for backup and restore, the 2x client registers a listener so even if there is no session one is started when required.
    Your way people without the local app need to start a session or run the 2x client before opening a document.

Thanks.

8. DVTSVito

DVTSVito Guest

davidsaliba,
    ""Your way people without the local app need to start a session or run the 2x client before opening a document.""
    I am not following this....
    In my test, 2x is logged off and not running (all processes removed). When i click a.doc file, 2x opens and imports my document into the published word. That is how it works for a client with out a local app....correct?
    If 2x detects that extensions are already mapped or a program is installed locally, then settings do not need to be changed. If this was done on session entry or ending, then 2x could notice that there is no local app and leave the 2x associations alone. This way the function will continue to work as it does currently for users with out local apps.

Currently, What is the solution that will interfere the least for an end user and not cause a nightmare for IT staff?

If these test are run at 2x, how is this not seen as a problem?

In my ticket, i mentions that there were enhancements to this feature...but i did not get an explanation of what.

Again, i love 2X and really don't want to sound like i am just trolling here....but i am not understanding how this has not come up in testing or live production. I am running a simple test of what a user will run into. While in the office and on the road offline.

I started testing because i did get complaints. I have one of those "technical" situations coming up that i need to have word on a terminal server to interact specific software.
    Users will have no choice but to us the published word. BUT, when they are offline (or at home where i have no control over their computers) and need to use word......what are going to do to make this painless and simple?

Thanks again for looking at this...

9. DVTSVito

DVTSVito Guest

I just got questioned about this problem from a client we are working with.
    His first question, “What about my remote users with office already installed”
    Is there any update?
    Thanks.

10. zippo

zippo Pro

I think this is a chicken and egg problem.. let me explain why.

The feature is design so that if you register once with a 2x farm and it has a file associationis it is registered to the local system. Thus if you are not connect to the server and click on a file with this extension you will be connected and the remote app is started.

Now what you are asking is to remove a featre since for your scenario is is not always optimal.

What I suggest is to have a new option 'Remove File Association when the client is closed' so that if you way to use local assosication you just have to close the client. Obviously some of your users may grumble that now they would have to log on to the client before opening a document with a remote app.

I guess such a compromise is the best thing to do... and if it is fine for your case, escalate this information to support.

11. vito1

vito1 Member

Old thread,
    but still a problem.
    I have not see any changes with XG, so i wanted to re-post.

IMHO, things that would help
    1) check current file associations with the associations that 2x IS replacing.
    2) backup the associations that 2x will replace.
    3) allow session associate if needed
    4) on log off/disconnect, original associations are re applied.
    5) If 2x client gets disconnected uncleanly, have an option to restore associations.

How are Admins getting around this now?

12. zippo

zippo Pro

Vito escalate your query to support, to my knowledge there is no feature request about this yet.

13. cashare

cashare Guest

14. vito1

vito1 Member

Bumping this thread. Am i missing something in any new version?
    Also, as mentioned above there are situations where you need office installed in the farm and locally.
    Esp. when apps in a farm tie directly into terminal server published apps (like office)

and...the only way i can get around this for external users at this point was to create a custom msi with the this feature off. We have had plenty of calls about this causing problems on someones home computer.
    If there is a way to to this, please let us know.
    thanks

15. woqz

woqz Hunter

if the local windows is associated to make use of the 2X KickOff, it is normal that the connection will not take place.

I think the 2X client registers associations if the option to do so is left enabled in the client. If not, it will not do that. As I see it right now, there are no workaround for it.

you might want to drop an email to 2X support suggesting an offline fallback feature as a feature request if anything