"Finish" Button Does Nothing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by FutureDrKurz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. FutureDrKurz

FutureDrKurz Bit poster

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install windows on my Mac with Parallels, and am having a problem.

I have parallels installed and activated, and am going through the OS installation wizard. When I get to the final step (And select the CD to install from) and click the Finish button, nothing happens. The button "pulses" as if it's been pressed, but nothing happens after that.

I've tried restarting my computer to no avail. I'm really at a loss with this problem--it seems so stupid.

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey,
    What build of Parallels Desktop do you have? Paralells Desktop -> About Parallels Desktop
    Did you try to install the OS from the image file?

3. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

I'm having a very similar problem.

I used to run Parallels 3.0 (build 5600) with boot camp (Windows XP, installed on a FAT32 partition), but then had to reinstall everything due to a separate issue with parallels that I won't get into here.. This time I installed windows on an NTFS partition.

My problem is that Parallels no longer seems able to find the Boot Camp partition when I try to start it up. (The drive is now labelled "untitled", instead of "WINDOWS") If I try to do it manually by creating a custom machine, by the time I get to the finish button it also does nothing. Nothing at all. Even if I try creating a typical machine, I still get nothing when I push the finish button.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, but I suspect that it's not uninstalling everything because at no time am I ever asked to put in my serial number any more, and it goes straight into where I left off before uninstalling. I even tried following this http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790 to get a full uninstall, and it clearly did something because it was a much more active instal than usual, but still didn't seem complete (again, never asked me for a serial #).
    I've repaired disc permissions over and over again, but still nothing.
    Please help. It's very frustrating.

I run Mac OSX 10.5.4 (updating to 10.5.5 as I type this) on a Macbook Pro.

4. FutureDrKurz

FutureDrKurz Bit poster

I believe it was the latest build, because it was from the trial available on the website.

I've actually decided to move on to another virtualization program that was recently released.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please download build 5608 following link bellow:
    http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5608-Mac-en.dmg

and reinstall Parallels Desktop as described in kb
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

6. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. I tried what you said, and although it did finally do a proper install and ask me for my activation code, it still does nothing when I get around to clicking the finish button to create a VM. It also still can't seem to find my Boot Camp install of Windows XP.
    Any other thoughts?

7. John@Parallels

Try following:
    1. If you do not have any VM currently running delete everything from Documents/Parallels
    2. Start Parallels Desktop and install Windows in Custom installation mode

As for Boot Camp, there may be problems if you have external or internal disk with another Windows partition

8. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

Thanks again John, but it won't even get to the point of creating a Parallels folder in Documents.
    I don't have any other internal or external discs or any other Windows partitions, and as for Boot Camp, it used to work just fine before with Parallels. I did have to use this fix before http://kb.parallels.com/en/5063, but it worked just fine after that.

I don't really have much use for creating a new Windows VM that isn't using Boot Camp as two copies of windows on my computer isn't going to help me too much. I'm only really interested in getting my Boot Camp back up into Parallels so I have the option of getting at some programs and info that I normally use without doing a full reboot.

9. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

Just for fun I tried what you said. In fact I tried every way I could think of to get it started, but every time I click that finish button, it just keeps pulsing away and does absolutely nothing.

10. John@Parallels

Do you mean that you do not have folders in Documents/Parallels?

11. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

I mean it's not even going as far as to create a Parallels folder in Documents at all, and when I search my computer I can't find one anywhere else either.

12. John@Parallels

Please check location for /USers/Shared/Parallels and ~/Library/Parallels

13. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

Ok, there's nothing in my /Users/Shared folder, but there's a bunch of stuff in the ~/Library/Parallels folder. What am I looking for specifically, or do you just want me to delete it all?

**I tried deleting it all, but I still get nothing.

14. John@Parallels

Do not delete ~/Library/Parallels
    Check is there any Microsoft Windows XP or similar folder

15. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

No, nothing like that. There's nothing that looks like it could be a VM file.

16. John@Parallels

Ok, let us try from another side
    1. Create iso image from installation cd as bellow:
    1. Insert CD/DVD source

2. Start Terminal from Applicatins/Utilities, you can then determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

$ drutil status
    Vendor Product Rev
    MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E GAND

Type: DVD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
    Cur Write: 8x DVD Sessions: 1
    Max Write: 8x DVD Tracks: 1
    Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
    Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
    Space Used: 364:08:27 blocks: 1638627 / 3.36GB / 3.13GiB
    Writability:
    Book Type: DVD-ROM

3. Umount the disk with the following command:

$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
    Disk /dev/disk1 unmounted

4. Create the ISO file with the dd utility (may take some time):

$ dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048

5. Test the ISO image by mounting the new file (or open with Finder):

$ hdid file.iso

2. Use custom install method and specify iso image

17. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

I don't have an install CD. Only the image file I downloaded from the parallels website.

18. John@Parallels

Do you mean you are trying to install Windows without having Windows installation CD?

19. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

I thought you meant the parallels install CD. Again, I'm not interested in a new windows install. I need to get Boot Camp running.

But I tried what you said and at no time whatsoever, no matter how I try to set things up with parallels am I ever given the option to install windows from an image file while setting up a VM. Like I said before, it doesn't let me ever get to the point where I'm actually installing anything.

20. Vinco

Vinco Junior Member

Scratch that. I found where I can select an image file. I tried it, but still nothing with the finish button no matter which options I go with.