Firewire support on XP on a mac

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by shirland, Apr 29, 2006.

1. shirland

shirland Bit poster

It would be nice to be able to use the built in isight on the powerbook pro in windows as certain applications, like skype, have video support on windows but not mac.

2. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

I totaly agree.... I would love to have MSN Messenger and Skype video support

3. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Yes, that will be nice. But it will not be easy. Even if Firewire support is enabled in the future, how are you going to use the iSight camera under Windows XP? It will require software driver support in XP, which Apple does not make available now, even in Boot Camp. And God knows if Apple will make such support available in the future?:cool:

[​IMG]

4. karthikp

karthikp Bit poster

This would solve most of the queries......also if firewire drivers gets exported then sharing problem will come to an end....I'm able to connect 120 GB HDD (USB) with Beta 6.0 and it is working beautiful!!!!!

5. dcunia

dcunia Junior Member

FYI...iSight camera on MacBookPro is USB

Just a quick note...the built-in iSight camera on the MBP is USB, not FW. You can actually see it listed in the Devices drop down menu when running the Guest OS. The real issue for getting the iSight camera to work, as is pointed out in another comment, is one of driver support for the camera. I too would like the ability to use iSight for video conferencing without having to attach an external cam.

6. FI_Flyer

FI_Flyer Bit poster

Attached FireWire Hard Drive

I have an FireWire hard drive attached to my Macbook Pro. Although it is formatted with FAT-32 to make it Windows-friendly, I cannot see it from within my Win XP virtual machine. I have been searching for a solution in these forums but, so far, have not found a clear way to access this drive (although there are hints that it may be possible.)

So my wish is that there be a clear -- and hopefully simple -- way to access devices (specifically hard drives) attached to the Mac host from within the Parallels/Windows VM.

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

You can access anything that the Mac OS recognizes as a mounted file system from any guest that does networking. Make sure networking is set up in both OSX and XP, share in OSX whatever you want to access from XP, and attach it in XP. You can access anything on your LAN or the Internet you have permission to access, including shared devices on your local machine.

Firewire pass through, with a device accessable to a VM but not the host OS would be cool, but isnt here yet. That along with USB pass through would be a desirable feature allowing use of devices where there was an available driver for the guest but not the host.

8. orthocross

orthocross Bit poster

I have an external Firewire HD (actually an IDE in an external case with Firewire connectors).

PLEASE show me how to gain access to this device in Windows on my Intel iMac with Parallels Desktop (RTM)

On my Mac, all I have to do is plug it in, and its recognized.
    Same is true on Windows, but NOT under Parallels.

I need help BADLY, since ALL my saved licenses for ALL my Windows downloaded software are in an Outlook PST file on the Firewire. The drive doesn't even show up under Windows.

Are there ANY conversion programs for Outlook->Entourage (note: That means "From Outlook TO Entourage", not the other way) which actually WORK with little or no fiddling? I do have EmailAlchemy (Mac and Windows). Any way to convert my .PST file into a .RGE file using it? (I saw no Outlook converters when I just installed it. Maybe they will show up once I enter my key for EmailAlchemy.

In addition, my Kaspersky Labs 6.0 Internet Security license AND installer are on the Firewire drive, which is totally inaccessible from Windows, so I also have no protection.

In addition, I no longer have ANY Windows machine available. My ONLY copy of XP which is activatible is now in my Parallels partition image.

Man, I'm sure a mess!!!

HELP!!!
    I'm DROWNING!!!!

Donald L McDaniel

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

The Parallels VM will not directly access a firewire drive.

If OSX recognizes it and can read the files, ie they show up in the finder, you can share the drive on your network from OSX, connect to OSX from the VM, and copy the files into the Windows environment. When you do this, you are accessing OSX files as far as both OS's are concerned.

It's possible that the VM might see the drive if you move the disk to a USB enclosure, but that might not work.

As for Outlook, I don't use it (since I think it's a virus magnet) so I have no idea how to do anything with it.

10. CharlieNichols

CharlieNichols Bit poster

So is it possible to access a firewire video camera in a guest OS (XP)?

I have a sony video camera and I'm trying to set up skype or another video conferencing software on the guest os.

Possible?
    Thanks!
    Charlie
    www.Seven87.com

11. djzan

djzan Bit poster

FireWire over USB

Hi,
    I don't want to repeat questions asked before, but instead suggest a possible solution.

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect e.g. a firewire disk/camera trough a special cable? The idea I thought of is to use a FireWire to USB cable.
    Since Parallels can use USB, this would be the first logical solution.
    Has anyone tried this before?
    At my lab we've got an Olympus FireWire camera for taking microscopic photo's. The software to catalog files, however is windows only. People at Olympus were stunned to see WinXP running smoothly on a mac, so I don'y really expect swift software or hardware changes from them.
    Shortly I will be recieving the firewire to usb cable, so I'll keep you posted about my results.

Greetz,
    DJ

12. Edd

Edd Member

you're running parallels and windows XP on a powerbook? How is this possible?

Edd