David Moss
Bit poster
This worked for me, so hopefully will help somebody out there too.
After upgrading from PD 3 to PD 4 (trial license for now), with a single XP VM, I got some of the problems mentioned by other people here: specifically in my case, the screen resolution wouldn't change on resizing a single window or on switching to full screen, and coherence wasn't available.
I checked my services in the VM (Start -> Run -> services.msc) and saw that the Parallels Tools Service and Parallels Coherence Service were set to auto start but weren't started. I tried to start them manually and got an error 193, which means the exe file for this service is corrupt or doesn't exist. Checked the properties for the two services and saw the path to the executables for the two services given as follows:
Then it dawned on me: started RegEdit, went to the key
Went back to services.msc and hey presto, both services now start successfully - and hey double presto, I then have auto screen resolution and coherence working perfectly, just like they did in PD 3.
Windows XP doesn't understand spaces in pathnames for service executables, so you have to enclose them in quotes - it's that simple.
After upgrading from PD 3 to PD 4 (trial license for now), with a single XP VM, I got some of the problems mentioned by other people here: specifically in my case, the screen resolution wouldn't change on resizing a single window or on switching to full screen, and coherence wasn't available.
I checked my services in the VM (Start -> Run -> services.msc) and saw that the Parallels Tools Service and Parallels Coherence Service were set to auto start but weren't started. I tried to start them manually and got an error 193, which means the exe file for this service is corrupt or doesn't exist. Checked the properties for the two services and saw the path to the executables for the two services given as follows:
Checked those paths and verified that the files do indeed exist and seem OK. Mysterious!C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Services\prl_tools_service.exe
C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Services\coherence.exe
Then it dawned on me: started RegEdit, went to the key
double clicked the ImagePath value to edit it, and put a quote at the beginning and end of the path name. Then did the same for the ImagePath value in the keyHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Parallels Tools Service
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Parallels Coherence Service.
Went back to services.msc and hey presto, both services now start successfully - and hey double presto, I then have auto screen resolution and coherence working perfectly, just like they did in PD 3.
Windows XP doesn't understand spaces in pathnames for service executables, so you have to enclose them in quotes - it's that simple.