fn-ctrl-alt-delete not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mdporter, Aug 27, 2007.

1. mdporter

mdporter Junior Member

Came across an interesting issue on a client's machine. the fn-ctrl-alt-delete key sequence doesn't work! This is build 3214 on OS X 10.4.10.

Trashing preferences and recreating the .pvs file did not help. control-alt-delete from a USB keyboard seems to work fine.

I did confirm that the fn key actually works.

Any ideas out there?

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

fn-ctrl-alt-delete is the wrong sequence. Try ctrl-alt-fn-delete. The fn key needs to be the second to last key you press and hold down so that it is only applied to the delete key.

3. mdporter

mdporter Junior Member

I will give that a try, however, on other macs and using build 3214 your statement is not true. The fn key is applied to the option key, which has the "ALT" above the word option.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

It isn't necessary to press the fn key to turn the option key into an alt key, because the option key is equivalent to an alt key. To see this, open the international panel in system preferences, go to the input menu tab, check keyboard viewer, and select keyboard viewer from the input menu in the menu bar. You'll notice that when you hold down the fn key the "delete" key, which is actually a backspace key, changes into a real delete key. The option key does not change when you hold down the fn key.

5. forgie

forgie Member

That's simply not true in any context. The order in which you press down modifiers makes absolutely no difference.

I still had to try it to make sure....

Just press em, in any old order.

As an aside, I noticed that the other day, I couldn't successfully use the Fn+Ctrl+Alt+Delete keystroke either, I had to use the menu option (for those who don't know, there is a menu item where you can "send" various miscellaneous keystrokes like Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Print Screen to your VM).

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

It definitely does make a difference. Try alt-F4 for closing a window, you'll notice it doesn't work unless you type option-fn-F4. If you type fn-option-F4 the sound panel in System Preferences is opened. See this article on Apple's site.

7. mdporter

mdporter Junior Member

results of test

I am willing to state that brkirch is correct in some circumstances.

On this particular macbook pro, fn must be the third key pressed in the sequence:

ctrl-option(alt)-fn-delete

No other key order works. This is also a first generation unit.

On new macbook pros I can press the fn key first and have it work. Any key order works as long as fn is pressed before you press the delete key.

8. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I am basing this off of my experience with my first-gen MacBook Pro, so that makes sense. Newer MacBook Pros must have a slightly more intelligent keyboard that does not require the fn key to be pressed after the control keys.

9. mdporter

mdporter Junior Member

Tried it on a brand new 17" macbook pro, and again, it didn't matter what order the fn key was pressed.

I don't have any other first generation macbook pros handy to test with unfortunately. On my first generation black macbook fn works in any combination.

Weird. Thanks for the tip though, that was driving me crazy!

10. forgie

forgie Member

Wow, apologies in order! I am now eating my hat.... :)

The ordering makes no difference on my Macbook (first revision). Apple must have really skimped on the keyboard controller in the first MBP revision.... having "ordered" modifier keys is a bit mind boggling in this day and age.

I guess this reinforces the whole "don't buy rev a" rule, right?