Forgot user name and or password for virtual machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TedC1, Feb 14, 2020.

1. TedC1

TedC1 Bit poster

I have a virtual macOS parallels machine created on my MacBook pro. the MacBook pro is running macOS 10.15.3. The virtual machine is running macOS 10.15.2. I am using Parallels 15. After successfully using the virtual machine for several weeks, today I can no longer log in. Upon starting the virtual machine, the log in window shows me two rather short text entry rectangles, one above the other. The top one says "Name", and the one below says "Enter Password". The parallels name for the virtual machine is "macOS 10.15.2". I use only basic info for my user name in the past, and I have the password that had been working fine recorded. I tried to enter recovery mode upon startup by use of the command plus the R key so that I could change the password and also see the user or admin name shown, but log in to recovery on the virtual machine does not work. Does anyone know how I can recover my user name and or password? Since I have the password recorded and have not changed it, I am suspecting that the user name is what is preventing it from working. Thanks for any suggestions. Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing in the log in window for the virtual machine.

Attached Files:

S.J1 likes this.
  2. TedC1

TedC1 Bit poster

Issue solved with the help of parallels tech support. The following is a method that allowed me to get into recovery mode, then into terminal where you can see the admin user name and reset your password. Following is pasted text of tech help: Please ensure that you have enabled the Select boot device on startup(Start Parallels Desktop but do not start your Virtual Machine -> Go to Window menu -> Virtual machines List-> Right-click on your OS X Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Boot Order Mark "Select boot device on startup" check-box and close Configuration editor).

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. S.J1

S.J1 Bit poster

4. Hi, do you have any questions? Or see the same issue?