FreeBSD 13: cannot start X (Gnome)?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by salvomic, Nov 5, 2021.

1. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

hi,
    I installed the FreeBSD 13 distribution from scratch on Parallels 17 for Mac. The installation apparently went well, but Gnome doesn't start. I followed this guide.
    There seems to be problems with GDM or DBUS and the error "Cannot rum in framebuffer mode. Please, specify busIDs."
    I put the useful information in /etc/rc.conf and /etc/fstab...
    The rest works (text mode).

Are there any things to know or settings to put in the Parallels configuration?

Instead, if I upgrade from a VM with FreeBSD 12 the update works, Gnome also works but when you click on "Settings" and then choose "Users" you can no longer use Settings again: gnome-settings no longer opens.

Any help?

2. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

sorry for wrong indication in the last sentence, and, please, read:
    gnome-control-center no longer opens

3. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Same problems with KDE 5. Then it will perhaps be a conflict with the X server.
    Any help?

4. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Two precisations:
    1. new installation with AMD-64 DVD iso distribution
    2. upgrading from the old 32bit AMD (12 already upgraded from 11)

5. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

the issue is also with other GUI (KDE, XFCE), so the problem is here: "cannot open display" (127.0.0.1).
    I've installed also sshd daemon and few other things.
    How to set the X Display?
    I've tried many things: export DISPLAY=localhost:0 :)1 :10) and so on... no luck.
    Why with the upgrade 12->13 Gnome (and the X server) works (apart of the issue of "Settings -> Users") and in the fresh installation not?

6. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

...in /etc/rc.conf there is
    Code:
    hald_enable="YES"
    but with
    Code:
    service hald enable
    I get errors:
    hald does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable.
    Could be a problem?
    How can I install and test hald?

7. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Sorry for the many messages above: if you could edit the posts it would be easier, and I could avoid it...

Dunque, ho fatto molte prove e credo che il problema stia nel server X: non ci si può collegare (come X) a 127.0.0.1 (localhost) e non serve provare con
    Code:
    export DISPLAY=:0
    The answer is always: "could not connect to 127.0.0.1 ... connection refused" and "cannot open X server"...
    It should be noted that SSH works well and I can connect (but not with X) from my Mac with
    Code:
    ssh -Y -p 22 myname@10.211.55.28 (ip of the freeBSD machine)
    So, the problem is with X server here. Instead, in the old i386 32 machine (now with freeBSD 13) there is no this problem, in the same computer...

Help, please.

8. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

9. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

The configuration lacks the video card (Parallels), as it appears here
    Code:
    salvo@freeBSD:~ $ pciconf -lv | grep -A4 vga
    vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:    class=0x030000 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x1ab8 device=0x4005 subvendor=0x1ab8 subdevice=0x0400
        vendor     = 'Parallels, Inc.'
        device     = 'Accelerated Virtual Video Adapter'
        class      = display
        subclass   = VGA
    Please, how can I configure it (inside FreeBSD)?

10. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

SOLVED:
    The solution is to install x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb drivers, then to set a file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.scfb.conf configured as:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      Identifier "Card 0"
      Driver "scfb"
    EndSection
    However, so the resolution in X is always 1024x768. How can to set 1440x1050?