FTDI ARM VCP driver questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RobertO35, Apr 7, 2022.

1. RobertO35

RobertO35 Bit Poster

1. Has anyone successfully installed FTDI ARM VCP driver 2.12.36.4A in Windows 11 on an M1 Mac?
    2. If yes, how?
    FTDI claim that this driver "Also works on Mac M1 running Parallels VM with Windows."
    I want to use a FTDI USB-RS232 Cable with my M1 Mac running Windows 10 Pro (21H2) under Parallels Pro (17.1.2). However, no matter what I try I get a "Windows could not find drivers for your device" message.
    The same cable automatically installs FTDI VCP driver 2.12.36.4 on Windows 11 Pro (21H2) on an Intel Mac with Boot Camp.

2. RobertO35

RobertO35 Bit Poster

I think I found the solution. The device driver file must be on Local disk (C:), in my case in Users (me) Desktop. The desktop shown in the home window of Parallels is actually the same as the Mac desktop. Windows apps and files run from here, but it appears that device driver files must be located on the "actual" PC.

3. LisaH9

LisaH9 Bit Poster

Can you clarify how you fixed this?
    I'm attempting to run a Colorado Timing Dolphin system that works fine with Parallells on my intel Mac. But not on my M1 mac.

I'm getting a message that says failed to load FTD2XX.DLL. Are the FTDI Drivers installed?
    I know where the drivers are. I'm wondering if I just need to copy them somewhere else or if this is a completely different problem.

4. RobertO35

RobertO35 Bit Poster

I know very little about Windows, but the bit that got me was that the driver installer file downloaded from FTDI (it must be the ARM VCP version) must be on the C drive of Windows running under Parallels. This means that you have to find the C drive with File Explorer and move the downloaded driver into a folder on the C drive (I used the Desktop). In Parallels, the Desktop and Downloads folders are actually on the Mac, not the PC, and although apps will install on th PC from theses locations, the FTDI drivers will not.