FTDI ARM VCP driver questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RobertO35, Apr 7, 2022.

1. RobertO35

RobertO35 Bit poster

1. Has anyone successfully installed FTDI ARM VCP driver 2.12.36.4A in Windows 11 on an M1 Mac?
    2. If yes, how?
    FTDI claim that this driver "Also works on Mac M1 running Parallels VM with Windows."
    I want to use a FTDI USB-RS232 Cable with my M1 Mac running Windows 10 Pro (21H2) under Parallels Pro (17.1.2). However, no matter what I try I get a "Windows could not find drivers for your device" message.
    The same cable automatically installs FTDI VCP driver 2.12.36.4 on Windows 11 Pro (21H2) on an Intel Mac with Boot Camp.

2. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The Apple M1 chip has an ARM architecture (unlike the x86/x64 architecture typical of classic desktop processors). And in a virtual machine on a Mac with an M1 chip, it is currently possible to run only Window ARM--the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture (for example, it is used on devices with mobile chips like Microsoft Surface Pro X). And indeed, despite the built-in compatibility layer that allows you to run x86/x64 applications on Windows ARM, some applications, or drivers do not work.

According to our information, FTDI has released a driver for the ARM architecture.

To install it, please follow the steps below:

1. Run the virtual machine.
    2. Download the driver here: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable.zip
    2.1. Locate the unpacked folder of CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable -> right-click -> "Copy".
    2.2. Open "File Explorer" -> navigate to the C:\ drive -> right-click -> "Paste".
    2.3. Folder should appear in your C:\ drive and have a path: C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable

3. Open Windows Device Manager: click Win R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Locate the device
    4. Right-click on the device > Update drivers > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list... > Show All Devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse and navigate to the C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable folder (make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) -> click "Next".
    Note: If it cannot locate the required .inf file on its own, try pointing it to FTDIBUS.inf in the ARM64 subfolder manually (if it doesn't work, try FTDIPORT.inf).
    5. Device manager should locate the driver and install it.

Following is according to the FTDI driver installation manual, according to it, after installing a bus layer driver, also a COM port layer may need to be installed:

7. Right-click in device manager -> select "Scan for hardware changes".
    Note: you may need to replug your device for it to have effect.
    8. Locate a new device with ?
    9. Right-click on the device > Update drivers > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list... > Show All Devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse and navigate to the C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable folder (make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) -> click "Next".
    Note: If it cannot locate the required .inf file on its own, try pointing it to FTDIBUS.inf in the ARM64 subfolder manually (if it doesn't work, try FTDIPORT.inf).

For additional information, please check section 3.3 of the FTDI driver installation manual: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/upl...vers-Installation-Guide-for-Windows-10_11.pdf

ChristianT14, DimaM and NickH13 like this.
  3. RobertO35

RobertO35 Bit poster

I think I found the solution. The device driver file must be on Local disk (C:), in my case in Users (me) Desktop. The desktop shown in the home window of Parallels is actually the same as the Mac desktop. Windows apps and files run from here, but it appears that device driver files must be located on the "actual" PC.

TobyR2 and James73 like this.
  4. LisaH9

LisaH9 Bit poster

Can you clarify how you fixed this?
    I'm attempting to run a Colorado Timing Dolphin system that works fine with Parallells on my intel Mac. But not on my M1 mac.

I'm getting a message that says failed to load FTD2XX.DLL. Are the FTDI Drivers installed?
    I know where the drivers are. I'm wondering if I just need to copy them somewhere else or if this is a completely different problem.

5. RobertO35

RobertO35 Bit poster

I know very little about Windows, but the bit that got me was that the driver installer file downloaded from FTDI (it must be the ARM VCP version) must be on the C drive of Windows running under Parallels. This means that you have to find the C drive with File Explorer and move the downloaded driver into a folder on the C drive (I used the Desktop). In Parallels, the Desktop and Downloads folders are actually on the Mac, not the PC, and although apps will install on th PC from theses locations, the FTDI drivers will not.

6. NickH13

NickH13 Bit poster

7. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The Apple M1 chip has an ARM architecture (unlike the x86/x64 architecture typical of classic desktop processors). And in a virtual machine on a Mac with an M1 chip, it is currently possible to run only Window ARM--the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture (for example, it is used on devices with mobile chips like Microsoft Surface Pro X). And indeed, despite the built-in compatibility layer that allows you to run x86/x64 applications on Windows ARM, some applications, or drivers do not work.

According to our information, FTDI has released a driver for the ARM architecture.

To install it, please follow the steps below:

1. Run the virtual machine.
    2. Download the driver here: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable.zip
    2.1. Locate the unpacked folder of CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable -> right-click -> "Copy".
    2.2. Open "File Explorer" -> navigate to the C:\ drive -> right-click -> "Paste".
    2.3. Folder should appear in your C:\ drive and have a path: C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable

3. Open Windows Device Manager: click Win R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Locate the device
    4. Right-click on the device > Update drivers > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list... > Show All Devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse and navigate to the C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable folder (make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) -> click "Next".
    5. Device manager should locate the driver and install it.

Following is according to the FTDI driver installation manual, according to it, after installing a bus layer driver, also a COM port layer may need to be installed:

7. Right-click in device manager -> select "Scan for hardware changes".
    Note: you may need to replug your device for it to have effect.
    8. Locate a new device with ?
    9. Right-click on the device > Update drivers > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list... > Show All Devices > Next > Have Disk > Browse and navigate to the C:\CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable folder (make sure "Include Subfolders" is checked) -> click "Next".

For additional information, please check section 3.3 of the FTDI driver installation manual: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/upl...vers-Installation-Guide-for-Windows-10_11.pdf

ChristianT14, DimaM and NickH13 like this.
  8. NickH13

NickH13 Bit poster

Thanks for your reply!

9. StefanK34

StefanK34 Bit poster

Did you manage to get it working? I followed the steps and installed both drivers. There are no question marks in device manager anymore - seems be all ok.
    But when starting the Programm that wants to access the USB device it still says failed to load FTD2XX.DLL.
    it works fine on my windows computers but I can't get it working on my M2 Mac with Parallels.

DimaM and AnastasiiaP like this.
  10. KevinO1

KevinO1 Bit poster

Hi All,
    Spent a while figuring out how to get a USB console cable (FT232R) working with my 2023 Macbook Pro M2 with Parallels 18.2 and W11. For me, the guides out there did not work. The device manager wizard refuses to install it using the wizards. However, on a whim, I ultimately got it working by doing the following:
    1. Go to: https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/
    2. Download the Windows (Desktop) Arm version
    3. Extract the zip file
    4. Browse to the ARM64\Release folder
    5. Right-click the FTDIBUS.ini file and click Install
    6. Do the same for FTDIPORT.ini
    7. Check Device Manager. It should now show the USB Serial Port (COM3) and USB Serial Converter devices
    This will only work if the Hardware ID of your device matches what is in the INF files. Hope this helps!

11. LisaH9

LisaH9 Bit poster

k
    I see .inf, not .ini. What am I doing wrong?

12. SteveN46

SteveN46 Bit poster

When I try to update the FTDI drivers using the instructions explained above my Win11 crashes every time. I have tried multiple re-boots and power cycles. Any ideas?

13. KENNETHA8

KENNETHA8 Bit poster

I have not been able to get this to work. I am using a MacBook Air M2 with Parallels. I don't understand the instructions at step 3. "3. Open Windows Device Manager: click Win R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Locate the device.
    I don't see Win R to click on. ???

14. RobW16

RobW16 Bit poster

Did you remove old drivers before installation?

15. KENNETHA8

KENNETHA8 Bit poster

I was able to get it to work. I disregarded the Win R part. I just copied and pasted the uncompressed folder to a new location and then I was able to see the files and load the driver.

16. KevinO1

KevinO1 Bit poster

Edit: Correction for Step 5 and 6: The files are FTDIBUS.inf and FTDIPORT.inf

17. James73

James73 Bit poster

You are a lifesaver!!!!