Gameplay in Parallels Desktop 8 with DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 games.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Dec 3, 2012.

1. DavidG1981

DavidG1981 Bit poster

Did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue. Parallels V. 9 (current), Win 8 Pro, MBPr Mid-2012 2.3 i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
    THANKS!

2. Drskll

Drskll Bit poster

Shadow Warrior (2013) Devolver Software..Steam
    I got the hardware to run this title..but cannot get past the opening animation..the menus are all messed up, and you can't navigate through the menus enough to alter anything enough to make it work at all..
    Apparently even those natively gaming on PC's have all kinds of issues with this game also..so i guess its not such a big surprise..On a side note the game comes bundles with a bonus "Vicera Clean-up"..which as the title suggests, is a game about cleaning all the gibs up throughout the levels..kind' like those "surgeon" type simulator games..that launches fine..and works flawlessly..with full hd effects, bloom etc etc..it looks very nice..but the game itself..no luck..tried all the tricks, available on forums..just one of those titles..thought id log it so anyone out there thinking of maybe purchasing it..
    It look great, but is horribly configured even monster pc's seem to be having issues with it..
    anyways..currently:
    Unreal Tournament 3 runs awesome..always has..pretty much why i bought parallels..
    Alan Wake runs great.
    Dead Island Riptide runs great.
    Outlast & dlc runs great.
    Condemned 1(sega) criminal..somthing' runs great..does stall a little during initial graphics settings..but always comes right..
    warhammar space marine..runs great.
    Dead space 2 runs great.
    L4D & L4d2 always run awesome..but can be run native on mac..but the gore always looks better through windows..the brains, guts, blood, and rotting skin textures really seem to "pop" when running through windows..
    Gone home runs great, but also runs great native on mac..fantastic game..
    I have a mid 2012-15" macbook pro 16gb ram/2.6 i7/GT 650M/OSX10.9.4..
    Bulletstorm runs great too..once you get through the windows live BS..but looks very nice & plays smooth
    Metro Last Light-Redux: Does run, but is a little choppy..has an error with unsupported 3dfx/gpu..obviously no directX11. I do realise thats its been natively ported to osX; I just wanted to compare. It does look much, much more detailed..with textures at medium (1920x1080). Even low-texture-settings; are noticeably more detailed than the native-port (which had the settings locked)..but it does grind a little..Id stick with the mac port, obviously the porting team had there hands full attempting to port a powerhouse of a game, to run as smoothly as possible across as many mac rigs as possible, while keeping the gameplay & overall graphics presentation at a somewhat reasonable level.
    All games are highly configured..just experiment with the options available..keeping your system specs in mind..all run 1900x1080, and look and respond very well..its usually a case of just of hitting the forums..experimenting with a few settings, tweaking a little, finding what works well..and your set..if it sounds like too much work..well, you could always bootcamp..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  3. MarkBGriffith

MarkBGriffith Bit poster

I am trying to run Space Engineers via early Steam I am on Windows 8.1 on Parallels 8.1, when I try to run I get :

2014-07-16 14:58:24.168 - Thread: 1 -> Pre-caching cube block models
    2014-07-16 14:58:24.651 - Thread: 6 -> Exception occured: System.ApplicationException: Creating render target failed, target: ShadowMapZBuffer(16), width: 4096, height: 1024, format: D24S8, usage: DepthStencil, mipmaps: False ---> SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8876086C], Module: [SharpDX.Direct3D9], ApiCode: [D3DERR_INVALIDCALL/InvalidCall], Message: Unknown
    at SharpDX.Result.CheckError()
    at SharpDX.Direct3D9.Device.CreateTexture(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 levels, Int32 usage, Format format, Pool pool, Texture textureOut, IntPtr sharedHandleRef)
    at VRageRender.MyRender.CreateRenderTarget(MyRenderTargets renderTarget, Int32 width, Int32 height, Format preferredFormat, Usage usage, Boolean mipmaps)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at VRageRender.MyRender.CreateRenderTarget(MyRenderTargets renderTarget, Int32 width, Int32 height, Format preferredFormat, Usage usage, Boolean mipmaps)
    at VRageRender.MyRender.CreateRenderTargets()
    at VRageRender.MyRender.LoadContent()
    at VRageRender.MyRender.LoadContent(Device devicePtr, MyRenderQualityEnum quality, Boolean supportsHdr)
    at Sandbox.Graphics.MyRenderThread.RenderThreadStart(Object param)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
    2014-07-16 14:58:24.651 - Thread: 6 -> Inner Exception: SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8876086C], Module: [SharpDX.Direct3D9], ApiCode: [D3DERR_INVALIDCALL/InvalidCall], Message: Unknown
    at SharpDX.Result.CheckError()
    at SharpDX.Direct3D9.Device.CreateTexture(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 levels, Int32 usage, Format format, Pool pool, Texture textureOut, IntPtr sharedHandleRef)

4. TobiasB4

TobiasB4 Bit poster