Games folder doesn't appear in Windows Applications folder on dock

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Jeff Kenyon, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Jeff Kenyon

Jeff Kenyon Bit poster

Just like the subject says. If I run my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit in Windowed or Coherence Mode on my OS X 10.6.2 iMac, my Games folder appears just fine on my Windows 7 Start Menu, but it does not appear in the Windows Applications folder that gets put on the Mac's Dock when the Windows 7 machine was set up. I did a completely default installation in Parallels (and changed no default settings) when I set up the Windows 7 machine. I'm running Parallels v5, build 5.0.9220. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

As far as I know the Games folder doesn't live inside the Programs folder on Windows. It also doesn't contain any applications. It contains references to games, loads (some) artwork, and tries to check for updates to those games (again, only for some games).
    Personally I like the idea of the Games folder but its implementation is doubtful. For instance, you can't change it. (I had installed a game - it shows up fine in the Games folder - I then deinstalled it - and now I'm left with a generic icon that I can't get rid of).
    To start games from a "Games" folder inside your Windows Programs folder (or the x86 programs folder) which then would show up in your Mac's dock, why don't you try creating a new folder inside the Windows folder, dropping aliases to the game .exes there, and using that?

3. Jeff Kenyon

Jeff Kenyon Bit poster

While it's true that there IS a separate button called "Games" that appears on the right-hand side of the Windows 7 Start menu that opens up a window showing all the games installed, there is ALSO a "Games" folder that appears under "All Programs". This folder acts like a standard Start menu item, meaning it expands out to show all the installed games on the system, and clicking on one (say, Solitaire) starts the game. That's the Games folder that I would like to have appear in my Windows Applications folder on my dock. I'll try what you suggest and report back. Thanks!