Gaming on Parallels + Performance

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by SandroV, May 4, 2021 at 6:42 AM.

1. SandroV

SandroV Bit Poster

Hi all,
    running Parallels latest version on a new MBA 7 Core, 8 GB, 256 GB SSD.
    Two questions:
    1. The Windows UI is visibly lagging and stuttering (e.g. slight mouse lag, start menu open is stuttery). Is this normal? The last time I used Parallels was on a 2012 MacBook Pro and back then performance simply wasn't there. However, the MBAs should be powerful and Parallels optimized enough - or is this an issue with the M1 only?

2. Trying to run various games inside Parallels gives me graphical glitches; see screenshots. I tried an older game (Battle for Middle Earth II) and something very recent (Age of Empires III DE). Performance on the AoE is really poor - extremely long loading times (45 sec; compared to 5 on my MacBook Pro 16" running Windows) and it's only running at around 20-25fps on low details with 1440x800 resolution. Shouldn't the performance be a bit better?

Any help :)
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

1) in my experience this is the best Windows has ever run using Parallels, but I have a MBA with 16 GB RAM.
    How many processor cores and how much RAM have you allocated to Windows in the configuration settings?

icetear likes this.
  3. SandroV

SandroV Bit Poster

I've allocated 4 and 7 GB (out of the 8). Same thing. Not a RAM thing, feels more like a CPU/GPU thing here (stuttering).
    Regarding the game: Anyone have any idea why I get these graphical glitches?