Gentoo on M1 with Parallels-Tools / graphic acceleration?

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by NielsD4, Dec 9, 2021.

1. NielsD4

NielsD4 Bit Poster

Dear all,

i've installed Gentoo arm64 with xorg, KDE and such stuff, but im unable to get the Parallels org driver for X / GL or similar acceleration working manually.
    Parallels-Tools does not install out of the box - I had to comment "check_required_packages()" and copy an init script manually, because it "can't find a package manager" in the installer script to get it running through.

Kernel drivers seems loaded:
    prl_tg
    prl_fs
    prl_notifier
    (seems there is no prl_vid in current parallels-tools installer anymore?)

but if I try to use the OpenGL switcher script:
    $prl-opengl-switcher.sh --on

I get an error:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/tools32/lib/libGL.so.1.0.0 not found in the path

seems the script does use i386 tools path instead of "tools-arm64" and no libGL.so.* is in
    .../tools/tools-arm64/lib/
    (there is only a libPrlWl.so.1.0.0)

Any ideas or hints?
    Which "package manager" could I install on Gentoo to get the installer working? If the installer is not ready for gentoo on M1 so far - would be nice if done by Parallels soon...ß)

many thanks,

niels.

2. serv

serv Parallels Developers

Parallels graphics drivers stack is not available on aarch64. However, Parallels Desktop 17.1 introduced VirGL support, so MesaGL should just work.
    See https://kb.parallels.com/en/128518 for details.

3. NielsD4

NielsD4 Bit Poster

Ok, then I try to build mesa with/against virgl support.
    thank you!

4. RobS21

RobS21 Bit Poster

5. brad-x

brad-x Bit Poster

I've gotten Gentoo installed on Parallels M1, one key was to ensure virtio_gpu was built into the kernel so console messages are available early in the boot process (the architecture seems to favor kernel output going to serial lines for whatever reason) - after setting VIDEO_CARDS="virgl" and emerging the graphics stack and desktop environment of choice, it fires up with MESA GL and near-native performance