Graphics mangling with SolidWorks 2006 under 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MadOverlord, Jul 2, 2007.

1. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

Solidworks 2006 worked flawlessly until I updated to PDM 3.0.

Now, at certain times (loading a document is a good one), the 3D display of the object being modelled with become garbaged -- obviously displaying parts of other graphics buffers, I've even seen bits of the Windows startup text in there.

There is a workaround (hide and then show one of the components in order to force Solidworks to rebuild the 3D image it is displaying), but it is very annoying.

Turning on and off DirectX has no effect.

One data point: when I was first updating to PDM 3, at one point Windows went looking for a driver (maybe a video driver) and didn't find one. But other than Solidworks everything is working fine. Is there any way to ensure that all the proper drivers are loaded?

2. pixleys

pixleys Junior Member

Same issue here in SW2006 and 2007...in system options...performance...check "Use Software OpenGL" when you have no documents open. The graphics are slower but the trash on the screen is gone and there are no stability problems.

3. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

Thanks! I can confirm that this change works. On my MacBook Pro, there doesn't seem to be much, if any, speed loss from doing this (although so far the model I'm building isn't that complicated).

4. pixleys

pixleys Junior Member

I have found that when you get over 100+ parts, turn on highlight shaded edges or set any parts in the assy to transparent the speed drops a bit.

Good luck

5. pixleys

pixleys Junior Member

A little more OpenGL and Solidworks info...

I have found that OpenGL can be enabled in SW as long as you disable DirectX in the Parallels video configuration. SW is a little slow to refresh its windows but not too bad. Model rotation is smooth as long as you turn off model edge highlighting.

6. pixleys

pixleys Junior Member

A correction on my last post...it only works some of the time...what a PITA.

7. pixleys

pixleys Junior Member

Well 4560 fixed the OpenGL problems in SW but now all the dimension lines are white. I can't figure out how to correct this. Thoughts anyone????

8. CADature

CADature Bit poster

Thanks

Turning on Solftware OpenGL in the solidworks options fixed my display issues. I have SW 2008 SP3 on parallels 3 Build 5582. All the versions of SW up from 2007 last fall would periodically make components or faces on parts appear or disappear. Planes and faces also didn't highlight properley. It all works now, I just have to get the cat to stop lying on me so I can do proper sofa CAD!

Thanks for the great tip!