Growing Disk Image

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macrod, Apr 17, 2006.

1. macrod

macrod Bit poster

I successfully create an XP image using many of the default settings in the setup wizard. Currently my HD size is 4GB and I thought I read that this would grow as needed. I've now run out of disk space and was wondering how can I increase the size without losing my data?

While I don't mind setting the HD size to some fixed value, I'd prefer to take the performance penalty and have the HD automatically grow in size as needed.

Thanks.

2. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

The space used does grow as needed, but only up to the maximum size you specified (or accepted from the defaults) on creating the VM. You can't modify this, so you will have to create a new VM and set your size from there. For instance, I thought ahead and created a HDD of size 40GB, but the actual virtual HDD is currently about 10GB.

Alternatively, you could turn on Windows sharing from your Mac OS X preferences, and map that as a network drive in your VM. Then move e.g. your "My Documents" folder to the "external" hard drive. This will save your data outside the VM, but you are still likely to run out of space as you install more programs.

3. macrod

macrod Bit poster

Thanks for the information. I feel kind of foolish not thinking in advance about my settings since now I'm going to have to reinstall both XP and Ubuntu :(

According to the "Configuration Editor" hard disk options it says:

"Use Recreate button below to create virtual hard disk of the same or different size from the scratch (all data on the virtual disk will be lost). If you need to increase size of the virtual hard disk in non-destructive way, use Parellels Image Tool utility."

I'm very interested in what this Parellels Image Tool utility is and if it works on OS X? I don't even mind if I need to run this utility on Windows if it allows me to salvage my existing data.

Thanks.

4. sieversjr

sieversjr Bit poster

I have same issue and I did the following as an alternative to re-creating/reloading it as I spent a bit of time creating the original image.

Edit configuration and Click Add... button. Hit Next on Wizard Select Hard Disk Hit Next
    Create a new Virtual Hard Disk and choose a specific size
    Build this as another hard disk drive such as E:, etc. and format as NTFS using Disk Administrator
    Applications can now be installed on E:

Eventually, when the final copy arrives after beta, I probably will re-create it

5. engrProf

engrProf Member

There are apps that want to be on the C: drive. I guess we just have to be patient and resized drives will be here. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1. Image Tool will be introduced in next update and included functionality of increasing virtual disk. But in that case you will still need some repartioning tool in guest OS - like Partion Magic or Acronis Partion Expert.
    2. You could add to VM configuration second virtual disk (up to 4) and redistribute your data between 2 virtual disks.