Haiku (BeOS) in Parallels 3

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by salvomic, Jun 20, 2007.

1. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

Hi all,
    I wrote some old posts in this forum about BeOS, Haiku, Zeta...
    I downloaded an image for Haiku from http://haiku-os.org/build_factory, then I made a VM with Parallels 3 (as "windows" "other windows") and I choose for it the haiku.hdd image, Parallels 3 has converted it.
    I cannot resize the image - as they say some tips in this forum - because now there is more "Image tool", and perhaps the problem is just this one.
    However, Haiku start, I can see the logo, but soon it print theese lines:
    "PANIC: could not mount boot device!
    Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land...
    Runing on CPU 0
    kdebug >"
    So, Haiku (BeOS) doesn't run on Parallels 3?

Thanks in advance!

Salvo

2. jdlyall

jdlyall Bit poster

BeOs in Parallels

I tried installing my BeOS 5 commercial version in Parallels 2. No go.
    Sorry to hear that it doesn't work in the new version.
    My order for an upgrade is awaiting shipment.

3. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

We need to have again "Image Resize", almost to have Haiku running. I hope the Parallels Team would put this utility again in Parallels 3.x, and soon :)

Thanks in advance!

Salvo

4. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

In fact we don't. :) Run Terminal, cd into directory where you've downloaded Haiku image and type the following commands:

Code:
    bunzip2 haiku.image.bz2
    dd if=/dev/zero of=haiku.image bs=1024 count=1 conv=notrunc seek=204800
    mv haiku.image haiku.hdd
    Then create a VM in Parallels, select type Other, disable network adapter (!) in VM options and set HDD image to that with Haiku. That's all. I hope this hint will be useful.

[​IMG]

5. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

I can confirm that this does work . I have managed to get Haiku to run in V2 Parallels using the above instructions . Many thanks to Relan . ( Why no networking ? )

6. Relan

mkstevo, I'm glad to hear that it works. What about network, Haiku just hangs when I enable it. I don't know the reason as I did not perform any additional investigation.

7. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

yes, thanks: it works!!!

Why no network? There is any workaround to enable also this one?

Thanks again and best regards!

Salvo

8. Relan

Unfortunately I don't know any. Network does not work for me, but can work for you as you can have another network configuration, etc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  9. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

ok.
    In my MacBook I had to disable it from Parallels before to start Haiku. No luck to use it, still...

Thanks
    Salvo

10. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

ok, an year ago that worked well, but now I tried to create another VM, to convert a Haiku image, but now Parallels want to convert the hdd, and if I convert it I get again the kernel panic in Haiku...

Please, is the above resizing method still valid or Parallels 3 at the actual version doesn't permit it more?

Let me know, please :)

Salvo

11. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

I found that the actual "nightly" Haiku images are 250 MB, so I made in Terminal:
    bunzip2 haiku.image.bz2
    dd if=/dev/zero of=haiku.image bs=1024 count=1 conv=notrunc seek=408600
    mv haiku.image haiku.hdd
    And it works!

Time ago, if I'm not wrong, the images were 120 MB...

And then, what is the rule for the "seek" option? (I have only doubled the previous value: 204800...)

12. Relan

"seek" is offset from the beginning of the file. At this offset dd writes 1KB of zeros increasing image size to 400MB. See man dd for details. So you've made everything right. :)

13. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

ok, thanks Relan!

have a nice day

14. emrainey

emrainey Bit poster

With latest Parallels (5608)

I tried to get this to work but Haiku does not yet work with build 5608 of Parallels for Mac. I downloaded a nightly build of Haiku and did the resize trick, then converted to the new format, which caused the boot to just sit there after showing part of the boot up screen. However, as a side note, the raw Image format of the nightly build works just fine with QEMU for Mac (which isn't as nice Parallels but functional). I'll keep playing around with the Haiku image size to see if I can get it to work.