hardware virtualization support is disabled on the host computer.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by supermans, Sep 14, 2010.

1. panahead

panahead Junior Member

i uninstalled parallels... then upgraded to parallels 6.. then re installed windows... it worked in my home for a week or 2... now i am in a new location and it will not launch windows... i first get a message saying

"virtual machine may be degraded because hardware virtualization is disabled on the host computer... it is recommended to enable hardware virtualization in the bios settings"...
    then i get another pop up message saying....

"are you sure that you want to start the virtual machine? one or more kernel components loaded on your mac are for another version of parallels .. if you start this machine now it may work incorrectly... to solve this problem re-start your mac.. if this problem persists re install parallels desktop"...

i have restarted the mac... i have re installed parallels now and it keeps getting hung up trying to configure my virtual machine... on step 1 of 4.. please help me... ... i am running snow leopard... parallels build # Build 6.0.11822 and windows xp....

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

panahead,

please send problem report (Help -> Report a Problem) when your Windows XP running and post report id here.

3. panahead

panahead Junior Member

what part of the report do you want to see?

4. panahead

panahead Junior Member

i am not sure what part of the post you would like to see? there are many tabs to choose from... here is the report id Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with ID 6826774.

5. panahead

panahead Junior Member

sorry.... i need to read you instructions a little better.. here it is# ID 6826774

6. rkulikov

panahead, thanks for report! Can you now check if there are any prl_* kext-bundles in /System/Library/Extensions in your Mac?

7. panahead

panahead Junior Member

i have looked and i don't have any prl_* kext-bundles in my library.... is that good? or bad?
    thanks again...

8. rkulikov

panahead,
    it's definitely how it should be. Am I right saying that your're trying to boot Windows in virtual machine which was initially created in version 3 or 2?

9. panahead

panahead Junior Member

i am note sure? i started with parallels 2 or 3 years ago... but just recently changed my hard drive and had to re install parallels... and had to upgrade to parallels 6 and also had to re install windows xp..... it was all working fine for about a month... then this... but... for now it is working great! thanks again for your time and help... josh

10. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

Hi there PD! Love the new PD 6 as I am switching back from VMware 3.1, but on one machine (an iMac) I have the same problem as posted here (The virtual machine performance may be degraded because the hardware virtualization support is disabled on the host computer. It is recommended to enable the hardware virtualization support in BIOS settings.)

But since I have one machine running fine (a MBP) I can see sorta where things are fracked. I have no pr_*.kext running according to kextstat on the broken machine. Uninstalling/reinstalling always produces the same results, even after following procedures above. I always get a restart screen, an error, and then when starting a VM, the errors prescribed above.

Is there anything that can be done? Love the speed and Coherence mode, but don't need this on the MBP, just the iMac! thx.

11. rkulikov

panahead,
    so problems've gone and everything is ok now?

12. rkulikov

coocooforcocoapuffs,
    doing "kextstat | grep prl" shows nothing on your broken machine? Can you provide /var/log/install.log from that box? Problem Report is also appreciated.

13. Jigs Gaton

thx, attached is the log file!

Attached Files:

14. finisc

finisc Bit poster

Is this forum still monitored by Parallels' technical support

Hello,

Last Saturday (October 16, 2010), I submitted a reply to this thread, asking a question about the KB article #6317. After clicking the "Submit Reply" button, I saw a screen that said my submission will be posted after being reviewed. Several days have passed, I still did not see my post. Did my post get lost?

I'm asking the question again:
    In the KB article #6317, there is an explicit warning "Solution below should be used only in case the version 4 build 3844 is currently installed." But in your quoted post, it can be loosely interpreted that said KB article can be use in the case of upgrading from V3 to V6. Can I ignore the warning in the KB article then?

I have an additional question:
    How does the solution in the KB article help enable hardware virtualization support in BIOS or rEFIt?

The reason for the questions is because I encountered the following (error) messages after upgrading Parallels Desktop to V6 (build 6.0.11822 (Revision 604190; September 14, 2010)) from V3:

"... hardware virtualization support is disabled on the host computer.

It is recommended to enable hardware virtualization support in BIOS settings"

AND

"One or more kernel components loaded on your Mac are for another version of Parallels Desktop. If you start the virtual machine now, it may work incorrectly. To solve this problem, restart your Mac. If the problem persists, reinstall Parallels Desktop."

Thanks for your help.

15. Jigs Gaton

Have tried to install PD 6 but not able to.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

16. conic

conic Bit poster

Hi,

after upgrading OS X to 10.7 I have the same error as in the first post. Before upgrade of OS X my virtual machine with Windows 7 had worked fine.

Can you please tell me wat is wrong?

17. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Same here. same issue

18. rkulikov

conic, ShannonA,
    try the latest update of PD6 (build 12094). It provides fixes related to support 10.7 hosts.

19. conic

conic Bit poster

How can I upgrade this version? Parallels Desktop says that I have actual version after searching for updates. I have polish version of PD.

20. joepe

joepe Bit poster

Same here only windows xp(bootcamp)
    Parallels 6 was working wel with osx 10.6
    After upgrade to osx 10.7 i got this problem
    Folowed every step in this post (uninstall, no prl) but no solution