Hazardous Shared Folders Bug in RC1/2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Sirblackadder, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bigman

bigman Member

I still have problems with GA release. I did a clean install of a vm (windows xp sp2)
    with the GA release and some binary files get corrupt. When I use mac os windows sharing
    everything works fine for me. Because Parallels is now GA this is a serious and very annoying
    bug that should be solved immediately.

2. joshv

joshv Member

bump.

Parallels - any help?

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

joshv,

Could you please explain exact test case once again - we will try to reproduce it in our labs.

4. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I do too but that only works when the Mac side can register with the DNS. In some environments this doesn't work. However, because I too have experienced corruption with the Host adapter, I have to agree that this is the safest way at this time.

5. joshv

joshv Member

I am running Parallels version 1848 on a MBP 17". I have shared a default folder under my user directory called "documents" with Parallels SF. This normally works fine, except occasionally I find that the modified on dates of every file get set to some date in 1969.

Why I notice that the dates are being reset:
    I also run Qdea's Synchronize X Plus on this MBP. It is scheduled to synchronize the "documents" folder with a folder on a Windows server. It notifies me when more than 25% of the files in the folder need to be replaced during the sync. This has occurred 3 or 4 times now and when I do some digging, I find that the reason Synchronize X wants to replace all the files in the "documents" directory is because the modified date on all of them magically got reset to 1969. This does not happen on any other directory except the ones I have setup in SF, so I tend to lean towards Parallels being the culprit on the date reset.

What other information can I provide?

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Bit poster

CVS and Modification dates

The modification dates are messed up for me too. While GA did solve the 1969 problem for me, it does not respect applications attempting to write their own modification dates. So when CVS (-the- source code repository program for open source as well as my work) writes a file locally which was modified on the server say a week ago, it gets confused when I next do an update as the modification date is not in sync with the server copy as it reports today. This makes it impossible to use CVS on parallels.

This is a major problem as I can't access my Mac via apple to windows file sharing as I am behind a VPN. Note that this problem evidences itself whether I'm in the VPN or not.

7. persike

persike Member

This thread hasn't received active attention for quite a while. Can anybody confirm that all three of the mentioned problems are resolved. I'm referring to
    a) the file corruption problem
    b) the case-sensitivity problem, and
    c) the file date problem.

It seems that I finally have to switch to shared folders because I need my guest OS to work in bridged mode and this renders using smb shares a very cumbersome enterprise.

Best wishes,
    Malte

8. steve

steve Member

Attention required.

Yes, I agree. This is one area that Parallels has not paid much attention too. I think the Samba shares mostly work but there are occassional problems even with that. The shared folders are totally unusable. This is a real disappointment considering the progress on other issues. I don't understand why.

Steve

9. steve

steve Member

I'm a gonna bump this issue WAY up the list again. PSF shared folders still have problems that have not addressed with the release of the latest GA code 2.5.3188. The simplest way to recreate the problem is to open an existing excel spreadsheet from a mapped PSF drive. Then, immediately save the file. Excel returns the message:

"The file '<filename>' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want
    Save a copy
    Overwrite changed

This problem has been around for quite some time. This problem does not occur when you use a samba share. I think Parallels has ignored this issued because there was a "work around". That was ok a year ago but I would expect this problem to have been resolved by now.

Steve

10. gustave

gustave Bit poster

Fast forward the better part of a year > > it is March 2007 and I am running build 3188. I am still having this exact problem with modified stamps on files in Shared Folders.

I am ALSO finding that even when the time and date stamps on files in Shared Folders are more or less right, they differ by an hour when you compare the stamp from inside Windows to the stamp shown in Finder.