Help! Can't launch Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pchris, Jan 10, 2007.

1. pchris

pchris Bit poster

Hi -

I'm new to Parallels Desktop for Mac. I created a VM and installed Windows XP. Then I started loading updates from Microsoft. After loading XP Service Pack 2, XP no longer fully launches. I get my desktop background but no desktop icons or Start.

I've checked that I'm running the most up-to-date version of Parallels. I've restarted Parallels and my Mac (Powerbook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Cuo running OS X 10.4.8).

Help please?

Thanks.

Pat

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Try to load in safe mode( put F8 or FN+F8 on makbook and macbookpro keyboard when system is loading), re-install Parallels Tools...if nothing helps re-install Windows on VM.

3. ptrella

ptrella Bit poster

Just for the heck of it, you might try re-setting the VM. As your XP VM is trying to boot up, choose "actions" from the parallels menu and then "reset". I'vehad to do this a few times and it seems to work. I guess it can't make anything worse in your situation and might be worth a shot before you go through the hassle of re-installing the OS.

Also, if you do reinstall XP, you should make an SP 2 disk to install from. I think that you're not suppossed to load SP1 onto the computer at all. See this page for some instructions:
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

Good luck!