Help Installing OS - Win XP (Parallels 3.0)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by vizzer, Nov 29, 2007.

1. vizzer

vizzer Bit poster

Hi all,

I just purchased Parallels and am trying to set up a VM. I want to install WinXP as my guest OS. I have 2 questions about doing this:

1) When I go through the settings in Parallels and begin the installation of XP, XP starts by formating/creating a partition on my HD - right at the beginning of the setup. My question is, will this actually format my Mac HD, or partition it? I am new to Parallels, so I am not sure if or how it controls this. Any help or explanation on this would me much appreciated.

2) I have an external firewire HD. Is it possible to set up a VM to run off of it? If so, how do I go about doing this.

Also, can anyone explain to me what Boot Camp is, how it works, and if there is any benefit to it over the other options?

Again, any help would be much appreciated!
    Vizz

2. ReneS

ReneS Member

Etc.

Hi,

1) Does not format your entire OSX, just makes space (partition) for VM.
    2) Yes, in beginning choose the drive where you want your VM. It is also possible to create on on your computer and later copy and use it from your external drive, or another computer.
    3) Bootcamp makes it possible to boot into windows "natively" but a reboot is required to switch from windows to OSX. A VM makes it possible to work in both environments at the same time.

I would advice (but i'm by no means an expert!!) to use a "pure" VM if you do not need the extra performance boost of bootcamp.

Good luck,

Rene