Help needed to move windows from parallels to bootcamp

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by farinc, Nov 13, 2019.

1. farinc

farinc Bit poster

I want to keep Windows 10 install exactly as it is on my parallels, with programs and data etc, but I want to move windows to bootcamp instead of continuing to use Parallels. So I'd like to know the steps for doing this. Why am I doing this? Because my Mac mini is approaching 10 years and parallels (I have the most recent version and am running it on my Mojave os. Parallels/windows runs so slowly that I can click something and it takes forever to respond, ie 5-10 minutes. It's has simply become unusable. Just to load windows can take 30 minutes. A person at the MS store said it can be done but that I'd need to return to the store when a specific genius would be there. I've yet to return. Apple said the given the age of my Mac mini and the problems I'm having that I could enhance using windows by changing to bootcamp since it uses the full power of the Mac OS. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Hi, you can perform the following steps for example:
    1. Install Bootcamp
    2. Create Bootcamp based VM
    3. Add second hard drive to the Bootcamp based VM (Hard drive fro your fist VM, which you would like to transfer to your Bootcamp)
    4. Then you will be able to see your files at your Bootcamp, save it and then remove VMs

Or you can just mount your VM's hard drive to Mac, move your files to the external flash drive and then move in to your new created Bootcamp...

Unfortunately we have no option to move VM to Bootcamp and you can use any workarounds above.

3. farinc

farinc Bit poster

i don't want to move parallels to bootcamp. I want to move windows and everything in it that's used in parallels to bootcamp.

4. You mean Windows virtual machine, right?

5. farinc

farinc Bit poster

Yes, I want to move Windows from my parallels virtual machine to bootcamp.

6. farinc

farinc Bit poster

This is what Microsoft Suggested. It's not a perfect solution since you'd have to reinstall all of your windows third party software after completing steps 1 - 9.
    1. Backup Mac mini to time machine
    2. Backup windows data files (in parallels) to an external drive or to a cloud.
    3. Remove both hard drives from Mac mini.
    4. Insert 2 new SSDs into the Mac mini.
    5. Restore os from time machine to primary SSD in Mac mini.
    6. Create bootcamp in Mac mini to use the 2nd SSD.
    7. Install new Windows on newly created bootcamp SSD. If you have your windows key code from your windows installation in parallels, you can use that key to install windows in bootcamp. If not, buy a new copy of windows and install it.
    8. Log into bootcamp/windows and begin transfer of windows backup data from cloud or external drive that was done in step 6 to new windows.
    9. Reinstall all windows software to the new windows in bootcamp.

7. DiegoR2

DiegoR2 Bit poster

Hello! I am having the same problem and looking to do the exact thing farnic is. All I need to do us run Revit through my computer and parallels has messed up my computer big time--big mistake. Is there a proper way to "un-partition" your laptop and then delete parallels once and for all?

Thanks