Help - New Hard Drive and Re-Install

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PTTurboe, Jun 26, 2011.

1. PTTurboe

PTTurboe Junior Member

All,

My MacBook Pro hard drive is failing. So, I have to re-install a new drive.

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 with Parallels Desktop 4.0 (Build 4.0.3848) and Windows XP Pro on Boot Camp.

I have 2 external hard drives where I have copies of Time Machine that are both current.

And I have WinClone copies on my Mac side in My Documents.

Additionally, I have a copy of "Copy of My Boot Camp.pvm"

(Finally, I have all my data in Windows - Outlook, Quickbooks, Quicken, My Docs, etc. backed up too.)

I am in Lima, Peru and there is a Premium Reseller I-Store. I am going to buy the drive (20 days under AppleCare to get a new drive to Peru! No way can I wait that long.)

So, I am clueless on what to do after they put the new drive in!!!

The guy at the store also said they could put Snow Leopard on the machine for me. Is that advisable before I restore everything?

What about Parallels? Anything to back up or clone there??

Basically, I am looking for the steps to get the new drive back to where it is now!

I am willing to pay someone to walk me thru it. Either by email or Skype.

My whole livelihood is on the machine!!

Please advise.

Thank you!

David

2. TeddyN

TeddyN Bit poster

I think it is pretty easy to format the partition and restore whatever you have backed up on time machine with an os x installation cd. You can then install parallels afterwards. So what is the problem here? As long as you do not mix up with other partitions, you will be just fine. If your problem is copying what you have on parallels, you can first transfer it on your hard drive and copy it out later once restore is done.