help, please. build 3.0 5584. trying to recover from a clone

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tkjazzer, Jul 19, 2008.

1. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

Hello,

I need to wipe the version of parallels I have on my mac and replace it with a backed up version.

Unfortunately, the only backed up version I have was made from Carbon Copy Cloner of my entire Mac HD and that clone is now on an EHD.

So I can boot in to this, but where do I find the parallels version on here?

I don't want to run windows from the clone if possible. I want to copy the parallels virtual hd to another EHD and then run parallels from that.

I want to do it this way to maintain the clone's integrity without opening windows. I may need to do this multiple times.

Thanks.

Once I have a clone of parallels copied over to my other EHD. how do I select to start from the clone and not the version on my mac's hd.

I know this is confusing with multiple versions of clones etc and I'm sure my terminology is wrong. Hope you can follow. If not please leave a reply saying how I can clarify. See title for parallels version number etc.

2. HonzaI

HonzaI Member

I am quite confused on what exactly you need to do... But looks like you lost Mac HD and have backup...
    This is what I would do in my case:
    1. Get mac running from its own (internal) drive (instal OS)
    2. Download latest demo version of Parallels 3.0 and install them. You will need your serial number to make them licensed.
    3. Locate in your backup HD the folder with your virtual machine(s). It is in your home folder and will be called by the name of the virtual machine. Copy the whole folder onto internal mac drive into same place. Takes time - it is likely 5Gb or more.
    4. Start Parallels desktop and connect it with the newly copied virtual machine on your HD. There will be some technical details, but not that many.
    5. Install Parallels tools. The latest version has new tools. This is IMPORTANT.

I think this should work. With little creativity and smarts...

H.

3. ziba

ziba Member

Hi,

Yep, it is quite hard to understand what exactly you are trying to do. Just for future reference Parallels is not your Windows virtual machine, it is a program that operates from MAC os and allows you to run Windows, image of your virtual machine on the other hand is a file that stores all files you have on your windows machine.

As far as I understood from your description you have backup of your Windows virtual machine image on external hard drive and you want to run Windows from this image file, correct me if I am wrong here.

To have a Windows VM that will use image file on your external drive you should do the following:
    0. Install Parallels Desktop on your MAC hard drive (if it is not already installed)
    1. Start Parallels Desktop and from menu choose File > New
    2. You will see Installation assistant Window. Here choose Custom > Next > click Next on machine type and memory screen (if you want to give more memory to your Windows do it on memory configuration screen) > Choose "Use an existing hard disk image" > Browse to backup of image file of your Windows VM on your external hard drive (extension of this file should be .hdd) > Next > Other options can be left default unless you want to change them > Finish

After this you will have a Virtual Machine that will use hard disk image file located on your external drive but if you remove this external drive or change location of image file your Windows will not boot and you will need to manually point correct location of hard disk image file in configuration editor > hard disk.