help! - strange combination of failures

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by akatimr, Feb 20, 2007.

1. akatimr

akatimr Junior Member

Hi. I've been trying for two days to fix this and search for solutions on parallels forums. I'd love help if possible b/c I have a bunch of data on the .hdd that I need to get.

I'm using build 3150. Running XP SP2 on a MacBook.

1) when launching, I get the Windows Log On. I don't have a password, so I usually leave blank and is okay. But now, i get this error message:
    "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code 0x800700c1"

2) I tried starting in safe mode. Windows logon comes. I leave password blank like in 1), and get a different error:
    [title] "userinit.exe"
    [msg] "The procedure entry point spooler Init coudl not be located in the dynamic link library WINSPOOL.DRV."

3) I tried starting, press F8 and chosing "Last known good configuration." It seemed like it did a bunch of stuff, but in the end it didn't fix anything.

I've been trying to fix this through the Recovery Console in XP and Registry Editor, but can't seem to do it. These are instructions I found on MS knowledge base (I think):

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    Delete the following keys in the Windows registry:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

I did reinstall Windows in a new OS, but I can't access the .hdd of the old VM.

And, when I looked into reinstalling Windows over Windows in my current VM, it says that I could lose files in documents folders, and I'm not even sure where some data like Outlook .pst is stored, and whether I'd lose that.

Can anyone help? I'm desperate.

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I don't know if reinstalling XP over your current install will damage your data...but to be on the safe side, why don't you back it up before you try it. Click for instructions This should back up both your Windows installation and your data files, so if your reinstall doesn't work, you can at least get back to where you are now.

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

Things such as "my documents", ie bookmarks, oe emails, and desktop icons, get overwritten with folders that are new, and more sparcly populated with data(all your stuff gone). This is all things in the "Documents and Settings" folder.

Also, the entirety of the windows folder gets replaced.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Just to be more clear, when the windows folder gets replaced, that includes the registry file. Now, as brilliant an idea as the registry file is, it does have at least one slight flaw. Most windohs programs write information into the registry, which they wont start without. Even though all the program files in the program files directory, will still be intact. This requires the program to be reinstalled.

If you're lucky and you have programs that don't require registry information present to start, then another peice of microsoft brilliance will get you. The c:\windows\system32 folder holds a handful of crucial files for every windwoes program, and gets wiped with the reinstall of windoze. This requires the program to be reinstalled.

5. akatimr

akatimr Junior Member

Thanks SO much for the quick reply you two! So, good idea to back it all up, and thanks for the link b/c I didn't know that was possible without starting VM.

Is there an easy way to get into the .hdd and retrieve data. I'm most worried about my outlook .pst file with all my emails, contacts, etc.

Also, do you all know now to start the Registry Editor withou booting XP? All the instructions that I found say to go to Start-> Run. But, I can that far in the boot to do this.

And, do you know about these two files and whether deleting them will help anything:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptograph y\Providers
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers