Help! Windows XP won't boot in parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MaryJane, Jul 26, 2007.

1. MaryJane

MaryJane Junior Member

ventin

Sorry, just venting! The Apple store I purchased from said they had "nothing to do with Windows" it was up to me to purchase and install. They made it clear that all that is Apple is in their domain, all that is Microsoft is not. I was in a mall and they pointed down the mall to a kiosk where I should go to deal with the "other side".
    I was told by the IT that they may have helped with "boot camp" since that is an Apple written program. However, the Apple salesman strongly recommended the parallels because it is "so much easier to use". As for Parallels, I still haven't heard from anyone at "Parallels" and I sent them the help message on the install window and also sent them an email directly. I am grateful for this forum and the assistance. I remember the day when you bought software and then called the support number right away and someone walked you through the process of fixing your problem. I just find this process so frustrating combined with the fact that I had to get professional help to make it work. I am somewhat computer literate but the product needs to be user friendly. When the terminology turns to computer jargon I'm finished. Thanks

2. kat

kat Product Expert

I understand the venting. Parallels is a great product. Now that you have it working make a back up copy. Also clone it. Save the copy and if you want to experiment with the program do it on the cloned copy before you do anything to your original. If the system ever fails you have your backup to reinstall.

kat

3. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Mary i understand your position. Mac is a great product and easy to use. But i still feel that the shop where you bought your product is responsible for it. Otherwise you had better bought it online.

Btw have you registerd yourself on the website off parallels? Did many e-mail's to them and always got an answer.

I'm glad your problem is solved

jacky

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Jacky

What website?

Thank you

kat

5. MaryJane

MaryJane Junior Member

Yes, I registered and then emailed Parallels. That is how I got to the forum, through the registering. The message implied the forum was to "discuss problems" with parallels experts. Thanks dragonkat for the expert help. I will figure out the cloan part too!

Jackybe67- I bought the Mac from an Apple store. I bought the parallels and windows xp home from MacMall on internet. No, the store (and Apple support) say they have nothing to do with either Parallels or Windows XP (that is the "dark side") So your on your own after you hand over the $$$.

Still working on installations like a printer driver. It tells me it is installed but then when I look under settings it still isn't there. I thinks all my installed software is going to an invisible file!

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

kat

On top you see "my account"

7. MaryJane

MaryJane Junior Member

Ok dragonkat, where is the add remove you referred to on windows xp??? I'm wandering in the dark again!

8. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

I bought my iMac, parallels and windows in a local apple store. So they installed everything.
    Thought you bought them also in the same shop :)

When you open parallels, you see at the top "File". Click on it, there you will find option to clone your vm.

9. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Open windows. Click on Start and go to "control panel". There you'll find "add or remove"

10. kat

kat Product Expert

MaryJane
    add remove programs in windows xp from "start" menu to "control panel" then "add remove programs"
    kat

11. kat

kat Product Expert

one other really silly question MaryJane, What part of Western NY. I am in Rockland, NY.
    Down state from upstate...but upstate from NYC.

kat

12. kat

kat Product Expert

Jacky

I thought you were talking about another website other than this one.

thanks kat

13. kat

kat Product Expert

Tell me what you see , in "Printers and Faxes" on your xp from the "Start" menu. The printer you install should be checked.

kat

PS You may want to search "Bonjour". Links to information: http://forum.parallels.com/search.php?searchid=550890

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  14. MaryJane

MaryJane Junior Member

It says "add printer". But it doesn't give directions for downloading the driver from the internet. That is what I tried to do. It worked on the Mac side and said it installed on the windows side but it isn't there.....
    (I found add/remove - will try that for software)

Jacky - I live south of Buffalo on Chautauqua Lake.

15. kat

kat Product Expert

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  16. floatplan

floatplan Bit poster

Installing from an ISO image worked for me

Thank you DRAGONKAT!!! Your suggestion regarding installing from an ISO image of WindowsXP was right on the mark. I was having the same problems as MaryJane and Adog1000. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

17. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

18. kat

kat Product Expert

Your welcome floatplan. Glad I could help.

kat