High CPU usage after installation of Parallels 13 on High Sierra

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SureshS1, Oct 3, 2017.

1. joincto

joincto Bit poster

I have a problem very similar to this. I have Parallels 13.3 and am running Windows10 (latest build, all patches installed) within the VM with 8G memory assigned and 4 processors. My hardware is a macbook pro 2015 with 16G ram and the host OS is OSX 10.13.6
    In the windows VM Task Monitor I sometimes see 100% CP usage. It is not clear what provokes this condition, but it certainly is not some errant windows app. When this condition occurs the windows VM becomes permanently sluggish. Although the CP usage does not remain always at 100%, it remains very high. Suspending windows from Parallels then takes a very long time (many minutes instead of a few tens of seconds). I so far have not been able reliably to replicate this problem, but it has occurred more than once and I have every expectation that it will continue to occur.

2. ManfredR4

ManfredR4 Bit poster

Same problem here with latest Parallels 13 and last Win7 on an old Macbook (Mid 2010). With the previous installed version of Parallels I have never this problem. Now the CPU temp goes up to 106° C.
    How can I go back to previous version of Parallels until this problem is solved by an update from Parallels.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ManfredR4, we apologize for any inconvenience this brings. We would suggest you following the steps mentioned below to fix the slow startup issue:

* Inside the Windows press the Start button > Cogwheel Settings icon > System > Power and sleep > Additional power settings > Choose what power buttons do > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Turn on fast startup (recommended) > Uncheck > Save changes.

* Installing Windows updates is relatively straightforward - as long as the Windows is intact (as even sfc /scannow wasn't finished - and this is the first diagnostic step to be taken - we wouldn't be able to confirm this). All you have to do to get rid of the pending updates is push your virtual machine into restarting.

Afterward, we'd recommend checking the virtual machine performance.

4. AnaisM

AnaisM Bit poster

Hi @PaulChris@Parallels,
    Could you please explain me how to uninstall Parallels Tools in this case below ?
    - Windows 10 stay at my last utilisation (October 6th, 2018)
    - I already made the snapshot.
    - The instructions (art. 4841) say that I have to uninstall Parallels Tools as: "Start > Control Panel" but I can't because my Windows 10 is blocked.
    So I don't understand how to uninstall (to re install after) Parallels Tools. I searched on the Forum and on your "blog assistance" but the article 4841 doesn't correspond to my situation.

Waiting for your reply,
    Thanks in advance.
    Anais

5. ChristopherD8

ChristopherD8 Bit poster

I am puzzled by the CPU utilisation figure reported by Activity Monitor.app. Is >100% CPU utilisation really possible, or is it just an artefact of my combination of versions? I have Win 10 Home, Version 1803, on Parallels 14.0.1, on MacOS 10.14.1 Beta (18B57c), on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    If it *is* a 'correct' report, how can this appear to happen?

Attached Files:

6. Hi ChristopherD8. Maximum utilization of every CPU unit assigned to a virtual machine in Activity Monitor counts as 100%. For example, if your virtual machine has 4 CPU units assigned, then a total amount of CPU utilization by a VM will be 400%. Please refer this article to know more about the CPU utilization.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi joincto,
    We have updated your reply in the thread. We suggest you post your reply directly in the thread.
    -----
    I just tried to login to my account at this sorry excuse for a company.
    It now wants me to verify my browser.
    It claims to be sending me an email with instructions.
    The email is never sent. I cannot access their website.
    -----
    Let us know the exact issue you are facing.