High CPU usage

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by esgargs, Jul 19, 2007.

1. esgargs

esgargs

I am running XP Professional. It is a clean install with about 30 processes after startup. Muting sound reduces CPU usage by about 5%, although turning off the Parallels tools doesn't do much.

Also, might just be the way Windows handles the command key, but when I press Command+Tab to switch between Windows, Parallels ends up expanding my Start menu in addition to OSX switching my active application.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Developers

It is bug - thank you for reporting. We will address it in upcoming update.

3. esgargs

esgargs

After trying out the beta all day, I have to say that the graphical performance is subpar compared to that in the last released build. Right clicking takes a long time to bring up a context menu, for example. Window redraws are also pretty slow.

I hope these problems are fixed in the GA. Overall, I am pretty impressed :D

4. agranovsky

agranovsky Bit Poster

Andrew,

None of these made a major impact (I did have USB disabled previously), but thank you for trying. I hope you get it right soon; it still would be nice if you could give us a hand with downgrading to 2.5 (I have an outstanding support ticket related to that, but so far -- crickets).

Thanks,
    Alex

5. maztec

maztec

I love how you address the command bug, which has been experienced.. but not the high-cpu and ram usage bug.

I repeat - I can come down to Renton and let you run anything you want on my Mac w/ Vista (although I assume you have computers of your own with these setups) to try and figure out what is causing this problem.

6. esgargs

esgargs

I uninstalled the beta and went back to 4560. The graphical performance in the beta was terrible, and I couldn't figure out a way to disable the shadows without going in full screen mode.

Hope the GA is better.

7. David5000

David5000

When I close ("Exit") Parallels Tools Center (PD 2.5.3124, XP Pro SP2), I get the message, "Shutting down the Parallels Tools Center will stop the Clipboard Synchronization and the Time Synchronization. . . ."

What do these synchronizations actually do? Is it advisable to turn them off?

David

8. jmstacey

jmstacey

Clipboard sync lets you copy and paste between the guest and host OS. Time sync keeps both the guest and host operating system times the same.

9. David5000

David5000

That is what I thought. Doesn't sound as if they should be disabled, so I wonder why Andrew suggested it?

David