High RAM usage for VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DennisJ3, May 10, 2021.

1. Preston2

Preston2 Bit poster

Same issue here. Would really appreciate a solution this has been going on since the first release that supported the M1 macs and is still unresolved.

2. Preston2

Preston2 Bit poster

3. RaymondW7

RaymondW7 Bit poster

I would like to know if it will also affect the standard version of parallel desktop.
    As I'm in trial version and I'm deciding to buy the standard version.
    But I have no reason to buy if I'm not sure the current standard version will fix the issue.

4. Vans2

Vans2 Bit poster

Would like to talk about this too.
    Although the KB (https://kb.parallels.com/en/128437) says this is a display issue and will be fixed with Monterey, now I am with Monterey and still seeing this. Is this not fixed yet?

5. RaymondW7

RaymondW7 Bit poster

Hi, would like to know if any update on this?

6. CoreyM2

CoreyM2 Bit poster

I deleted the memory controller but it still uses double the memory. Why hasn't this been fixed? My computer is so slow with Parallels open.

7. CoreyM2

CoreyM2 Bit poster

I deleted this driver but the memory usage doesn't drop. The only way I can get parallels to use less memory is by manually changing its max memory usage to 1gb (which ends up using 2gb). Has anyone else found a workaround?

8. RaymondW7

RaymondW7 Bit poster

For those still struggle on this issue, please update your OS to 12.4. The problem should be fixed

9. david107

david107 Bit poster

Well, I am on Ventura 13.1 and this problem is definitely NOT fixed!!

10. ViljarV

ViljarV Bit poster

Hi! I stumbled upon the same issue where my Macbook Pro 1st gen m1 pro chip with 32 RAM had 8GB allocated for W11 but the VM ate up twice as much. What worked for me was to allocate 50% of the memory I was willing to give to W11 (4GB allocation for 8GB actual use). Seems to be working because previously I only had 2 apps open and the 16GB was all used up. Now I have several videos and a whole lot of browser tabs in addition and the memory in use doesn't go above 8GB in activity monitor (if only, the chassis is a wee bit warmer but nothing too much). Hope it helps.

11. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

12. KevinP22

KevinP22 Bit poster

Hi folks. I too had this issue. I think I have resolved it. Hope it helps some or all of you. I changed from the Parallels Hypervisor to the Apple one. It has only been about an hour, but my RAM issue seems to have gone away. Good luck.
    upload_2024-1-9_12-11-14.png