High Sierra guest OS on Monterey in PD18.3

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Ian Davies, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Ian Davies

Ian Davies Bit poster

Hi, I'm trying to create a new VM with macOS 10.13 High Sierra. I have the full 5GB "Install macOS High Sierra.app" from Apple's legacy OS page and PD18 recognises it and allows me to select it as an installation image.
    Straight off the bat, it reports that the installer is damaged but a bit of research shows that changing the date and time via the Terminal to something closer to High Sierra's release date fixes the certificate and allows the installer to run.
    Then, however, you get an error message of "The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged". Again, Googling provides some solutions to tell the installer where the .mpkg is, but the problem now is that you can't get out of the Installer to access Terminal and actually do it. You also can't restart with [Option] or [CMD-R] "held down" as it appears the VM doesn't capture keyboard from the host machine while the VM is booting up (at least I couldn't get it to).

Has anyone else had these problems and got around them? I just updated to PD18 after a long time away (last version I used was PD9) just so I could run some old 32-bit apps, and I was hoping it would be a bit easier than this!

2. Ian Davies

Ian Davies Bit poster

I should have made it clearer, my host OS is macOS Monterey 12.6.6 running Parallels Desktop 18

3. DimaM

DimaM Bit poster

Regarding the error message you're currently facing ("The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged"), it appears that you need to provide the installer with the correct path to the OSInstall.mpkg file. However, you mentioned that you're unable to exit the installer and access Terminal to make the necessary adjustments. This is what artificial intelligence told me. I would contact support companies, maybe they have such experience