High Sierra high CPU usage

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Derek3, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Derek3

Derek3 Bit poster

I just installed parallels desktop to try the free trial and windows runs incredibly slow with CPU usage almost always above 100% usually closer to 200%. I have a brand new macbook pro 2017 and can't figure out why its performance is so poor with parallels. The picture I've provided is of the activity monitor after trying to open a link in microsoft edge where it is above 200% (not uncommon). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Derek3, please open Task Manager in Windows and take a look what a process eats CPU.

3. Derek3

Derek3 Bit poster

In windows it is appmodel. I used visual studio on windows and it ran perfectly. But when using Microsoft edge, edge and appmodel consume 100 percent.

4. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

We need to do a clean boot on Windows virtual machine. Please follow as suggested below:
    1.Please press the "Windows + R" key to open a Run box.
    2.Type msconfig and click OK.
    3.On the General tab, click Selective startup.
    4.Clear the Load startup items check box.
    5.Click the Services tab.
    6.Select the Hide all Microsoft services check box (at the bottom).
    7.Click Disable all.
    8.Click the Startup tab.
    9.Click Open Task Manager.
    10.On the Startup tab, right-click each enabled startup item and select Disable.
    11.Click OK.
    12.Click Restart.
    After completing your troubleshooting, restore your system by doing the following:
    1.Press the "Windows + R" key to open a Run box.
    2.Type msconfig and click OK.
    3.On the General tab, select Normal startup.
    4.Click the Services tab.
    5.Clear the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
    6.Click Enable all.
    7.Click the Startup tab.
    8.Click Open Task Manager and enable all of your startup programs.
    9.Click OK.
    10.Click Restart.
    NOTE: Be sure you "Enable all" Microsoft services when you are done troubleshooting and re-enable all programs in the Startup tab, or will you lose some OS functions (ex. internet connection) and some applications won't get loaded during startup.
    Then follow as suggested in this article and see if this works. Thanks!

5. JohanG2

JohanG2 Bit poster

Dear Meena,

I tried your suggestions as stated, thank you for your assistance in the first place.
    However it didn't solve my problem. (100% CPU by using Edge, caused by Appmodel and Edge)
    Maybe it's going wrong somewhere, as I have following issue :
    In your part 2 (recovering system), point 5, the checkbox is already cleared, and point 6
    already all is enabled. So maybe the trick didn't had the right effect ? (tried many times)

Hardware : Macbook Pro 2017
    Processor : 3,1 Intel Core I7
    Memory : 16GB 2133 LPDDR3
    Parallels : Trial version

Fyi : Also for example Excel, the pointer by every movement blinks between cross and flash cross

Thanks,
    Johan.