Host machine no IP address, Virtual Machine does?!?

Geesu

Member
So I have NEVER seen this happen before, and i'm still confused as to how it could even happen. But basically the Host machine (OS X Leopard) is not getting an IP address (169.x.x.x), but the virtual machine does have a working IP address.

So basically I can get on the internet within the virtual machine, but not on the host OS - anyone have any ideas why?

This is SO weird. I had just reinstalled OS X too so I don't think it's some obscure bug.

Thanks!
 
Not quite sure what is happening on the Mac side in your case, but as far as the virtual machine is in the bridged mode there should be no problem since the virtual machine uses one of the physical computer's network adapters in that case, not the current network connections of your physical computer.
I suppose the following documentation pages are quite descriptive:
http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22251.htm
http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22247.htm
 
Yea the VM itself works fine - gets an IP, I can access the internet.

But I have NO clue why os x won't get an IP address. Even trying an ifconfig up/down does nothing.

No ideas?
 
Back
Top