Host only networking not working on linux host

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by titetanium, May 25, 2007.

1. titetanium

titetanium Member

I'm trying to set up host only networking for W2K sp2 guest on Debian testing host. Bridged networking works a treat, but only if you have an active connection. If the host doesn't have an active connection, I can't see the host's shared folders, nor can I even see the host at all and vice versa. I need host only networking to work so I can use my shared folder from the linux host while I'm not connected to the internet on the host side.

I have followed the directions from the user guide provided by parallels but it doesn't work.

Eventually, once I get this working, I want to get host only networking to use the host's internet connection through NAT. This way, no matter where I go, active internet connection or not, I can see my host's shared folders at all times and not have to change anything on the VMs that I work with.

I'm using PW v.2112, in bridged networking, the packets flow entirely through the host's ethernet connections, wired or wireless. In Host only networking, the packets aren't getting past their respective os, i.e. in the windows guest, the packets are sent but not recieved by the host and vice versa (when pinging each other continously for troubleshooting purposes).
    Host IP: 10.0.0.234
    netmask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 10.0.0.254

Guest IP 10.0.0.233
    gateway: 10.0.0.254

vnic0 IP: 10.27.129.50

both use static IP, I'm a little confused as to the purpose of vnic0 (uses dhcp), no packets ever flows through that, though I can ping it from the host.

Has anyone gotten host only networking working on PW v.2112? If so, what step did you do that I missed? How are your connections configured?