How 3D Max works on Mac with the Parallets?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kevin Sung, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Kevin Sung

Kevin Sung Bit poster

I am an architect. I have intended to buy a Macbook Pro for long time. However, I have no idea that how 3D Max, as a necessary software for architects, works with Parallets on Macbook Pro.
    I am wondering that is it working as good as it runs on PC?
    If any of you are using 3DMax with PD on Mac, please tell me if it works well or not. Are there any problem like software crash, license breaking , often happening while it runs on Mac with Parallets?
    Thanks!

2. Atair

Atair Bit poster

architect here. ;)
    i run 3ds max and rhino in parallels - 3ds max runs very smooth with high polycounts, the only thing that makes problems are the valuebox vertical sliders, they behave erratic, which can be solved by setting the mouse to "optimize for games", but with the downside of having a quite choppy cursor in general. i left the mouse as it is and just type the values by hand.
    shaded/wireframe work fine, texturing, ao and most other effects are available, but not too fast..
    for basic shaded/wireframe you can have millions of polys
    one thing is the license - if you restart in pure bootcamp, it will be invalid (applies to any autodesk product)
    you woud have to find it deep hidden in the user directory, delete it and reactivate.
    but after switching to parallels, i never had to restart in pure bootcamp again.
    macbook pro late2012, nvidia gpu, mavericks. Dont know about yosemite, which you would get buying a mac now..
    ps. you can finetune keyboard, mouse, and hardware settings in parallels - it may not work smooth out of the box.
    good luck!

Kevin Sung likes this.
  3. Kevin Sung

Kevin Sung Bit poster

Hi Dam,
    Thank you for your relpy. It seems that there would be no big problem running 3D max with PD on Mac. I am released so that a new macbook pro with Yosemite must be taken ASAP! Hahahahha. Thank you. I will keep you in touch here in case any new question comes up. cheers!