How can I force Parallels to ask about re-associating my USB drive with my Mac or VM?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RachelS1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. RachelS1

RachelS1 Bit poster

When I plug in a USB drive while my VM is running, Parallels offers a dialog lightbox asking whether the USB drive should associate with the Mac or the VM. Once this choice is made, Parallels tends to remember/respect it on every subsequent reconnect. Sometimes I want to change this association, but I don't see how I can. Is there an easy option to change the USB drive's association on the fly? Or do I need to select something to make Parallels forget all USB associations and start over?
    [​IMG]

2. MichaelH26

MichaelH26 Bit poster

my experience with parallels... with dvd's/cd's
    i have 3 dvd drives with my mac. clicking the little dvd drive icon in the parallels icon tray area [ i think that i what t is called ], you can select to mount/unmount (ie associate) a particular dvd drive with the virtual machine. with a dvd in the drive that is mounted/associated with the virtual machine, when i un-associate that dvd drive with the virtual machine, the dvd is then automatically mounted on my apple apple desktop. i would think this would hold true with usb drives. clicking the usb icon in the parallels icon tray area will give you options on what you want to do with that usb device.
    good luck with it.

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

RachelS1, just use Devices -> USB & Bluetooth... menu to Connect/Disconnect USB devices. Also you can manage your permanent USB assignments in the Parallels Desktop preferences Devices tab.

4. BarbaraN2

BarbaraN2 Bit poster

Does Not Work!

5. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As a possible solution, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Open Parallels Desktop Preferences (Parallels Desktop icon (||) > Preferences > Devices) and remove all the devices from the list of permanent assignments.
    2. Check the option "Ask me what to do".
    Kindly refer to this article for more information: https://kb.parallels.com/120389
    Thank you