How Can I Migrate Windows 7 If It Requires a New Product Key????

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EdgemontF, Nov 1, 2013.

1. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I am truly frustrated and have been up all night trying to do this. I have a Dell PC running Windows 7 and there seems to be no way existing to get the activation Product Key that is tied and registered to your Windows product. I have called Microsoft, Dell, and every company I can think of and they all tell me I can't get Windows 7 key and the one in my computer is OEM and even though I have a CD with the software I can't use the key on the new Migration - so what is the point of Parallels if this is impossible???

I am a longtime Mac user and just loathe this PC I have at work. I just talked my boss into buying a new Mac but I have to run QuickBooks on it in Windows 7 to be compatible with the rest of our global company & accountants.

I don't understand how you can migrate your software from an existing PC if only one PC is allowed to have the same Windows 7 program. Or how can you install it from a disc if this Key is this same issue?

And if you have to buy a new one, how do we do that? LOL!!!

Can someone PLEASE tell me how you can buy a Windows 7 product key? When I search online most of these seem like fly by night individuals or they are saying the products are for "system builders".

Any help someone can give is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!!

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I'm sorry, but Microsoft OEM licenses means they are not transferable to other hardware. Also, you don't own the software, what you have is a license to use the software under certain conditions, it doesn't matter if you have the cd/dvd or not.

There are 3 types of license, OEM, VLK and Retail.

OEM: these are only valid on the hardware they are activated, normally when you buy a compute you get one of these.

VLK: Volume License keys, these are keys sold to enterprises, they have a limit on the number of times they can be activated.

Retail: this is what you get when you buy Windows in a store, you can transfer the license any number of times to different hardware.

What you can do is buy a fresh copy of Windows 7 (Retail) and then use that license key on the migrated Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab01

Parallels can't get around OEM licenses, this is a Microsoft thing, a virtual machine (Parallels) is considered different hardware by Windows.

And what they mean by system builders is someone that sells PCs, these are also OEM licenses (non-transferable).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I don't know what happened to my response, but here I am again: Thanks for your response, I do fully understand the licensing issue, which is why I want to BUY a new copy of the Windows software. The problem is no one carries it. QuickBooks Pro 2012 will only run in Windows 7 and I can not find any where to get it. The link you provided is for people who bought a boxed retail product and can get their new key from that new software.

Also on the Parallels side, how are people running QuickBooks when QB is saying they won't support a Virtual environment and QB must be on Windows natively installed?

Sorry, I am brand new to trying to do this (never used Parallels before and just bought it yesterday and installed it but can't proceed).

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

* Buy Windows 7 (can be retail, boxed).
    * Use the instructions on that link to change the license key.

As for Quickbooks I have nothing to comment on that.

If you are not able t buy Windows 7 you can buy Windows 8.1, upgrade your Windows 7 and then use the the 8.1 key.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

What I am saying is Microsoft will not and does not sell Windows 7 or I would have done this already. They will only sell Windows 8

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I updated my post:

7. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Yes - I realize I can do that - this is a problem as then QuickBooks 2012 will not run on that, which I have to be compatible with for a zillion global accountants in my company. The PC I'm migrating from is only 1 year, 3 mos. old - it's just stunning that PC products are this prohibitive to use on the licensee's equipment. Bottom line, I cannot just migrate from my existing PC to Parallels as advertised, nor can I use QuickBooks which is also touted in the literature....

8. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

We forgot to cover my broader question (aside from my personal Windows 7 issue): I don't understand how anyone can Migrate a Windows product if Windows doesn't allow you to install and activate the same product on 2 computers. Or does it allow you to install it anyway even if your product key is already in use? Confused...

Thanks for your input & knowledge.

9. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

the "migrate" means "migrate your applications / settings / files to a new windows computer" not "copy this windows pc to a new pc"

it still requires a valid windows installation, which you can not get with the current cd & oem license key you have. so your only option is to buy a new copy of windows, which you've already said you have no issue with.

so now, where to get windows 7?

amazon(dot)com still sells copies of windows 7. a quick search showed multiple options to purchase it.

10. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Unfortunately I looked at these Windows 7s (and many others) and they are all OEM / System Builder.

Just for the record, I didn't project my own assumption of "migrate" - I read all the literature before buying - see here at this explanatory link, they are absolutely saying you are copying this windows PC to your Mac (a new PC in Parallels) and "your PC will remain unmodified." They reference that you may need the keys for various applications you've purchased but there is no mention at all of this being impossible with the version of Windows you're migrating or that it has to be a retail copy, not one that came with your PC and that your key won't work: http://kb.parallels.com/en/115007

It's very confusing for a newbie (esp. if we aren't "PC" people.)

Fortunately I was finally able to get a hold of our IT PC guy in the UK and he's sending me a retail copy of Windows 7 with a usable key. I just think it would help others in my situation to have this clearly stated so we aren't surprised when we discover we can't just migrate our PC and that we likely have to have Windows that was bought at retail and not one that came in your PC.

Thanks so much for your time. Hopefully this will help others who are looking for similar answers. Have a great weekend.

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

By Migrate he means he used Parallels Transporter.