How can i run more than 2 Monterey VM simultaneously on M1?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IljaA, Nov 1, 2021.

1. IljaA

IljaA Bit poster

Hello!
    I faced the problem trying to run more than 2 MacOS 12.0 Monterey simultaneously on Mac Mini M1.
    Once i tried to run the third VM, an error alert with the following description appeared:
    Cannot start this virtual machine.
    A software update is required to complete this installation. The maximum supported number of active virtual machines has been reached.

However, i have the latest MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey as a host and the latest Parallels 17.1.0 (51516). As for license, i use Business Edition for Mac.
    Is this a problem of Hypervisor or some kind of system restriction?

Attached Files:

2. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

Best Answer
    Parallels macOS vms on Apple Silicon Macs use the Apple Virtualization framework which limits the number of concurrently running VMs to 2. This is because the Apple Software License Agreement only allows the user to
    https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSVentura.pdf

3. MatthiasS9

MatthiasS9 Member

Apples macOS license allows you to run two macOS VMs on your Mac.

4. IljaA

IljaA Bit poster

Do you mean macOS license for ARM-based machines?
    I can easily run more than 2 macOS VMs on my intel-based Mac. Max VMs number is only limited by my Mac's specs

5. MatthiasS9

MatthiasS9 Member

Technically you might be able to run more than two Mac VMs on your Intel Mac - but your macOS license does not allow this. Just read (again?) the license you agreed to when you installed the last time ;)

6. IljaA

IljaA Bit poster

Are there any updates?

7. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

Best Answer
    Parallels macOS vms on Apple Silicon Macs use the Apple Virtualization framework which limits the number of concurrently running VMs to 2. This is because the Apple Software License Agreement only allows the user to
    https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOSVentura.pdf