How Delete the Preexisting "Windows 10" VM Before Creating New One From VHDX File

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by RobertB47, Jul 15, 2021.

1. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

When I first tried to create a Windows 10 VM using Parallels' instructions in "Install Windows or Linux on Mac with Apple M1 chip using Parallels Desktop," I kept getting stuck because the new one defaulted the VM name to "Windows 10 (1)", apparently because there was a preexisting VM already named "Windows 10".

Finally I gave up and arranged for Parallels support to do it in a remote session. He did something starting in the Control Center that deleted it, but he did it so quickly I couldn't follow/remember how to do in if I need to redo it (which I do now).

Currently my Windows 10 VM in the Control Center says "Windows 10 / Incompatible with this Mac".

How can I delete VM so I can create a new VM called "Windows 10"?

2. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

Thanks for your reply!

I had already tried that; there was no remove option in the context menu.

Now, after shutting down and restarting the Mac, I cannot even display the Control Center; it's grayed out (please see the attached file).

On my old Intel-Mac, which still has Parallels Desktop installed, I can display the Control Center, but the remove option does not appear on the context menu, either grayed out or not.

Any ideas on what might be causing these anomalies?

Attached Files:

3. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

I decided to leave the VM name as "Windows 10 (1)" for now and have a remote session with Parallels support to see how I could change it to just "Windows 10".

He told me there was no way that could be done, and the best he could do was to change it to "Windows (10)".

Is that actually correct?

4. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

Thanks for your suggestion!

I cannot try that now because the Parallels supporter who told me he could only change it to "Windows (10)" deleted the Intel-based "Windows 10" VM and then emptied the trash.

However, your suggestion suggested to me that I might be able to change the name of the new "Windows (10)" VM to the normal "Windows 10" using the Finder.

Unless you happen to know that won't work, I'm going to contact Parallels support again and ask them before I do it.

5. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

I finally got a correct answer from Parallels Support:

Regarding the topic of renaming a virtual machine, please check the article below for instructions on how to do that

http://kb.parallels.com/en/123125

There are two prerequisites to rename a virtual machine:
    1. The target machine should be shut down.
    2. There should be no other virtual machine with the same name, e.g. if you already have a virtual machine with the name Windows 10, rename it and then give this name to the desired virtual machine.