How do I boot from an Image I just made?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by HyperX, Dec 29, 2006.

1. HyperX

HyperX Bit poster

I was able to use my Mac Pro to pull a an image from a Windows XP machine that had the parrarels transporter agent running (I had issues with this, but I just killed all the tasks in windows and I have success).

I was also able to mount the image to an already running CM parrarels windows xp - so the image works.

However, I am not able to boot off this image.

Is there a step by step guide to booting from an image that you pull from another machine?

Thanks!

2. HyperX

HyperX Bit poster

Just to clarify - when I said I am not able to boot off this image, I mean inside of parallels. Its basically my old windows machine that I need access to (tax stuff on there, etc). So before I give this computer away, I want to make sure it works inside of parralels in a vm session.

Thanks again for any help!

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should just open resulted PVS configuration in Parallels Desktop and click on start.

4. HyperX

HyperX Bit poster

Ahh -- hence this is the problem. There is only a .hdd file and no .pvs. Unless they are not in the same folder. The .hdd is under users - my name - library - parallels - migrated disks.

Is the .pvs file somewhere else?

BTW the transporter said operation was successful. No error messages.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to create new VM using custom scenario and choose your migrated HDD when asked.

PS: Did you used Express migration in Transporter?

6. HyperX

HyperX Bit poster

I used Express migration. When I use the custom scenario, and I chose the migrated disk, it says there is not enough space for some file (when I run that session - it creates it fine, just doesnt boot). I will have to write down the error. When I resize the .hdd drive using the paralles tools, the disk no longer mounts (says something about a bad end point or something).

BTW - i am a paid customer, but I am using the latest beta of parallels for both transporter and parallels itself.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  7. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

Please, update with Parallels Transporter Beta3. Could you repeat the migration in Advanced mode and pay attention on the following steps:

1. Step "Source Volumes": Please, be sure that the volume with expected OS (which you want to use as bootable volumes in Parallels virtual machine) is checked and the operating system information corresponds to expected OS info (set mouse cursor to the corresponding raw in "Source volumes Table", see info under Table)

Pay attention that after "Next" will be pressed on this page you have no Error/Warning message boxes (for example, "You have not selected the active volume...You can migrate the selected volume(s) as data volume(s). Do you really want to continue?"). If you confirm to migrate the selected volume as data volume you cannot use the resulting image as bootable and the resulting image (hdd-file) will be created in ...Parallels\Migrated disks without pvs-configuration file.

2. Step "Hardware Change": Please, be sure that the option "Boot from it" is checked by default. Applying hardware changes to the operating system on an image is required when you want to use the image as a bootable disk in Parallels virtual machine.

3. Step "Windows Installation files": this step appears only if Transporter doesn't find necessary drivers in Windows system files on the source computer which are necessary to make your image as a bootable disk. Transporter prompts you to insert a CD/DVD with the installation files for this operating system on your Mac.

Pay attention that after "Next" will be pressed on this page you have no Error/Warning message boxes (for example, "Parallels Transporter cannot find necessary files ...Do you want to continue migrating."). If you confirm to continue you can use the selected volume only as data volume (cannot use the resulting image as bootable directly after migration, to use it bootable later you need to apply hardware changes for this hdd by using Transporter: Migration Method - from virtual computer). And analogically with possible warning in p. 1 the resulting image (hdd-file) will be created in ...Parallels\Migrated disks without pvs-configuration file.

4. Step "Migration Options": you can review migration options (the destination folder where the resulting image and pvs-configuration file will be created and others).

In case of success after migration the resulting Virtual machine will be run automatically.

Best Regards,
    Helen

8. HyperX

HyperX Bit poster

Worked like a charm. My entire computer is now in parallels. Everything works. You guys are simply amazing. I have been trying something similar with VMware for at least a year now. Thanks again!!

As a little tip - what makes this process work on Windows computers loaded with a lot of software, is to close out as many processes as possible. Especially anti-virus and auto defragmentation tools.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006