How do I save my data to a CD?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by broodizt, Jul 24, 2007.

1. David5000

David5000 Pro

Shared folders is a feature of Parallels--not something the Apple store will necessarily know about or care to explain to you. It's very easy though. First read the manual about it and search this forum for previous threads. If you still can't figure it out, ask again here.

I would stick to 2.5 for now. (It's what I use too; I am only running one Windows application for my business, and it runs just fine.) I don't see any reason for you to upgrade and a lot of risk--it will only add another layer of unnecessary complexity.

David

2. broodizt

broodizt Junior Member

Thanks David5000. I was hoping I didn't need to deal with any more complexity. This is good. So I'll stick with what I have for now.

As for the shared folders-Well I guess I'll try it again. I did create a shared folder-I thought-(enabled tools etc) and I put it on my desktop and tried to drag my saved data file which is on my desktop too-into the shared folder. But when I got back to OSX-I wasn't sure where to find it-whether I really saved it in XP-whether I saved it in the right form, or even whether I saved the correct thing in the correct way.etc. I guess I'll take your advice and read the manuel verrrrrrry carefully -I think i'll print that one out too-and go over it again. I'll also search the forum for previous threads-Off I go-wish me luck on my latest quest for computer literacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ever so much again-Shellie

3. David5000

David5000 Pro

You can verify that you have set up a shared folder by looking for the name in Devices>Shared Folders. If the name isn't checked, click it and a check mark will appear. You can also see the folder you have shared inside Parallels Shared Folders (My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Parallels Shared Folders>\\.psf).

If you don't know where the shared folder is on the Mac side, its path should appear in the list of Shared Folders in the Parallels Configuration Editor. If you don't see a shared folder there, you can set one up by clicking the button with the plus sign on it.

David

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. David5000

David5000 Pro

I notice that there is a new Knowledge Base article, "How to create a Shared Folder" <http://kb.parallels.com/entry/37/496/>. The instructions are a little vague--in particular the vocabulary doesn't always match what you see on your screen--but otherwise it seems helpful.

It doesn't answer your question about how to find your folder in OS X, although you can see the full OS X path you originally chose for the folder by hovering your cursor over the path in the Shared Folders window in Configuration Editor. Or, you can put your cursor over the vertical divider between Path and Mode. When your cursor changes to a cross-hair, you can drag the Path header-bar to the right until it's wide enough to show the full path underneath it.

David

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  5. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Shellie,

If 2.5 is working well for you and doing what you need, stick with it. 3.0 has too many problems for some people at this point. I use 2.5 several hours daily and it has never failed me. I tried the 3.0 demo and it really increased my CPU usage.

I also strongly suggest you get the paid version of SuperDuper.

Regards,

John

6. Elysse

Elysse Bit poster

documentation sequence doesn't work

Thanks for helping answer these questions! However, when I try to follow the sequence to create shared folders, I am unable to proceed. When I try to select "Virtual Machine" from the Edit menu, I am told I can not proceed unless I stop the virtual machine. When I do that, however, I am no longer able to access the menus (in order to select "Virtual Machine" from the Edit menu)! Thanks for your help.