How do i use an entire Partition rather than .hdd file

jonmon6691

Bit poster
Thread was moved from "General Discussions > User Solutions and Workarounds" to "Parallels Desktop for Mac > Installation and Configuration in Mac OS".
Stacey M


The title pretty much says it all, I want to run an existing installation of windows in parallels that is installed on a hard drive partition, not a parallels hard drive file (.hdd)

--Thanks!:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you mean a Boot Camp partition, which is already installed and working.

Install the latest version of Parallels. (The one that came out today)

Follow the instructions for a Boot Camp Installation.
 
.
This has been reported as possible.

Try searching.

In the forums.

With the search link beside the Calendar link.

Not on the top orange bar above the pretty picture of a big monitor.

On the orange bar below.

New Posts is the link on the other side.
.
 
Where do you get the "boot camp installation" instructions... I've been looking for them, but I'm pretty new here. Thanks.
 
If you select "Use Windows from Boot Camp Partition" it will do what you want. A .hdd file will be created but it will only contain Parallels related drivers and pointers to the Windows Partition. It does not recreate the entire Windows partition.

There is a way to Import Windows to a .hdd file after everything is set up and working properly if you later decide to get rid of the Windows partition. But this is not required to use Parallels and this would not make sense for me because I still like being able to use Boot Camp for some games.
 
Back
Top