How do you install Parallels Desktop 4 on multiple accounts on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ShoutingMan, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Junior Member

I installed Parallels Desktop 4 on my Mac with no troubles. It worked perfectly and I've had no troubles with mouse synch, Coherence, etc.

My wife logged into her account on the machine, ran Parallels Desktop 4 for the first time, and was confronted with a new installation option. She canceled the installation wizard and quit Parallels. I'm trying to make it work correctly, now.

I can run Parallels and connect and run my BootCamp WinXP VM. However, Parallels Tools doesn't seem to install, there's no mouse synch, Parallels (in a window) won't auto-scale the WinXP resolution to fit, it's sluggish, and the Windows New Hardware Wizard appears everytime asking to download Live updates.

I searched the documentation (both built in the PD4 downloadable PDFs) for "user accounts" and "accounts" and can't find anything in the morass of technicalia.

What do I do to get it working on a second account as on the first account I?

2. ShoutingMan

Trying to fix things, I corrupted my working virtual machine. I deleted the virtual machine in my main account and re-imported my Parallels 3 BootCamp VM and got that working again.

In my wife's account, I try to open the VM, saved in /Users/Shared/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP.pvm, and I get the error
    This error is not the help of the KB.

3. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

You should change the Mac address of your VM -- click Configure -> Network Adapter 1 -> Mac address Generate button

4. ShoutingMan

I found some old post that referenced an outdated instruction manual that had half-correct instructions on cloning a VM, to make it work on other use accounts.

In Parallels 3, this just worked without any particular setup. I can't imagine why an upgrade made things less useful.

This should be included in the Parallels 4 instructions, not relegated to outdated, online-only notes.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven