How is RAM allocated to Virtual Machine?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rjk, Nov 13, 2006.

1. rjk

rjk Bit poster

Specifically, what I'd like to know is whether the memory size chosen during the creation of the virtual machine is available for the host OS if the virtual machine is not running.

I have OS X on my MacBook and will use Parallels with Windows XP Home sparingly, and wouldn't need it at all if Windows wasn't the only way I can access my companie's online booking software. I'm planning on just alloating 256MB to the VM, but as I have only 1G total on my MacBook, I'd be happier if that 256MB was usable when I'm only running OS X.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Parallels uses some memory when the app is running, but not much. It allocates whatever you give the VM when you start the VM, and releases it when you stop the VM. It releases all of its memory when you shut down Parallels.

RAM is relatively cheap these days, and I tend to max out machines because they run better with more RAM. The first thing I did when I got my Powerbook was add RAM, and when I got my MBP, it had 2 gig about 24 hours later. Then Parallels came along, and I'm especially glad I've maxed it out. (I also replaced the original 120 Gig disk with a 160).

3. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

Then update your sig!

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Thanks much.