How long should "Collecting information..." take?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by Justin Hill, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Justin Hill

Justin Hill Bit poster

I'm trying to migrate a customer's Windows Vista Business from a Fujitsu laptop to Parallels 5 on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHZ iMac using the USB cable solution. Everything looked good at the start, the iMac says "Collecting information about the source computer..." and the PC says "Connected via USB".

Trouble is it's been saying this for 2 1/2 hours so far. Is this correct? If it takes this long to get started how long is it going to take to move the actual data over? Will I ever get out of here?

Justin

2. Justin Hill

Justin Hill Bit poster

additional: I ran out of time after about 4 hours and quit everything. I will be back on site next week hoping to have another attempt.

I am assuming something was wrong with this but I'd like to know how I can monitor the progress and see if it's actually 'stuck' or just really really slow.

Justin

3. LorraineC

LorraineC Bit poster

well it's great to see that this is such a busy helpful forum.

Third attempt today; still watching the 'collecting information' message; still no idea if it's working or not.

4. LorraineC

LorraineC Bit poster

by the way I haven't suddenly changed sex; the product has now been registered so I'm now using the customer's registered email address

5. LorraineC

LorraineC Bit poster

I talked to parallels on the phone about this and they suggested I 'wait for a while longer'. It's now been 3 hrs 45mins. I tried to call again about it but kept getting cut off.

The only thing I can add is that I have been looking at the log (/library/parallels.log) where I'm getting repeatedly:

'Last packet receive' timeout, performing ping ...
    Received 'Pong' packet, do nothing

This pair appears every 14 minutes (14 minutes and 3 seconds actually). What I'm wondering is whether anything is getting done between those messages or if the timeout is actually 14 minutes(!) in which case nothing is being transferred. There's almost no CPU activity on the Mac and almost no disk activity on the PC.

6. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi

Collecting time is dependent to OS, hardware, installed software, etc... But thee hours is too long.
    Please, post here a log file from Parallels Transporter Agent side.

If you can, try to migrate you PC using network instead USB.

7. LorraineC

LorraineC Bit poster

Problem resolved

Thanks for all your comments. The problem has been resolved - it was OSX's firewall that was causing the problem. Making sure the firewall is OFF doesn't solve it. What makes it work is to turn the firewall ON and add Parallels Transporter to the list of applications, setting "Allow incoming connections". Once this is done the process seems to work fine whether the firewall is on or not.

In case anyone reading this needs to know: on OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard), the firewall is accessed from the 'Security' pane in System Preferences, and adding an application requires first turning the firewall on and then pressing the 'Advanced' button to access the applications list.

The "Collecting information..." process took about 15 seconds and transferring a Windows Vista Business complete PC using 34GB took about 45 minutes using the USB cable. The PC was a 4 year old laptop and the Mac was a 2009 iMac.