How should I setup my ubuntu 8.10 partitions?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mactivist, Dec 12, 2008.

1. mactivist

mactivist Junior Member

By default the Ubuntu 8.10 installer wants to use the "entire disk", which it calculates to be 34.4GB. I only have 23GB available on my hard drive.

I'd like the entire Ubuntu installation to take up no more than about 5GB on my drive, if that is possible. But, I don't know how to manually setup the partitions. I want to make sure there is no way the ubuntu installer could damage my Leopard installation in any way. (It can't, correct? Even if I told the installer to use the entire disk?) I just want to make sure it's not going to format any of my Leopard partitions.

It's been a long time since I did a Linux install, so I'd like some recommended partition schemes. Also, I only have 2GB of RAM on my laptop, so not sure what my swap partition should be set to.

Thanks!

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

The concepts behind Parallels DEsktop version 4, is that you can use larger partition than your hard disk
    Because Virtual Disk image is expanding, and based on this just use defaults during Ubuntu installation, it will partition based on Virtual Memory allocated to Virtual machine