How to access C Drive Files/Folders from Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RossW, Nov 1, 2012.

1. RossW

RossW Bit poster

I have a few Windows applications that need to read/write to project files from c:\ drive on my Parallels Desktop for Mac that I want to back up via AppleScript. Any idea on how I can reference files/folders from the c:\ drive in AppleScript format? For example, I'd like to do something like this:

set theSourceFolder to "file://localhost/Volumes/C//PBP_Projects/PBP3" as alias
    set theDestinationFolder to (path to documents folder as text) & "PBP_Projects:Backups:" as alias
    tell application "Finder"
    set theContents to a reference to entire contents of theSourceFolder
    with timeout of 420 seconds
    duplicate theContents to theDestinationFolder with replacing
    end timeout
    end tell

2. Tjalsma

Tjalsma Bit poster

You should have an Applications (Parallels) folder that has your Windows Applications in it. Right click, go to info, and it has the path.

I, however, don't know exactly what you are talking about so I could be wrong ;) Most likely, I am, haha.

3. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

i'm assuming you're asking how to get to a file that's on your windows c:\ drive from your mac. if that's the case, in your virtual machine's configuration (Virtual Machine -> Configure), select the Options tab. select the "Sharing" list item. place a check mark in the "Access Windows folders from Mac" and (optionally) "Mount virtual disks to Mac desktop"

http://forum.parallels.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6213&stc=1&d=1351820816

after doing that and starting your virtual machine, you will have your entire "c:\" drive in Volumes and (optionally) on your desktop. this only works as long as your virtual machine is running. once you shut it down, pause or suspend it, the disk is unmounted.

assuming you only need it once in a while and do not wish to start the virtual machine, you can control+click on your virtual machine and select "Open With > Parallels Mounter" which will mount it on your machine like an external drive. Eject it when you're done with it. i'm not particularly fluent with AppleScript, but you might be able to get AppleScript to mount the drive (using the above instructions), copy the file(s) you want then then unmount it.

http://forum.parallels.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6214&stc=1&d=1351820846

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  4. sherlynlxm

sherlynlxm Bit poster

I do not get it, how do i access local c files on parallels from my macbook?

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can refer to this article for steps to access Windows files from Mac.