How to Access IIS-hosted website in the VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndrewJ3, Jan 3, 2016.

1. AndrewJ3

AndrewJ3 Bit poster

I'm a web developer so I wish to run Visual Studio via Parallels and access the in-progress website from my Mac-based browser, but I can't get the website to load.
    To be clear, I'm not looking for web development help, I'm trying to access the IIS-hosted website from my Mac-based browser.
    Things I've tried:
    • disabling the Windows firewall (ideally this should obviously be enabled, but rather than figuring out if PAT was being implemented, etc... )
    • edited my hosts file (in OSX) to add an entry for the IP address (10.211.55.4) which Win10 has been assigned. I assigned "windows" to this address in the hope that I could navigate to "http://windows/my-website"
    • Changed "Parallels > Configuration > Hardware > Network 1 > Source" to "Default Adapter" and then added Win10's new IP to the Mac's host file
    None of the above have made any difference.
    I really thought that accessing an IIS-hosted website from the Mac-based browser would have been a walk in the park, I'm a little surprised it needs any configuration. So what else do I need to do?

[Because I know someone will suggest this: I don't see accessing the in-progress website via a Windows-based browser as a good solution because (1) that's not the idea of using Parallels, and (2) the rendering - and particularly anti-aliasing - is poor when viewing the Windows-based browser.]

2. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi,
    For accessing over IP address no additional tricks are required. for accessing over dns name modifying hosts should be enough. So, I don't think it's network/Parallels issue.
    When VM is in bridged network are you able to access it from another device located on the local network? It sounds like IIS misconfiguration (probably only access from localhost is allowed in IIS?). are you able to access IIS welcome page?

3. AndrewJ3

AndrewJ3 Bit poster

I hadn't thought of it, but I am able to access the default IIS welcome page (using both the IP address and the host file-configured alias).
    So I assume that this must be some sort of security configuration?

4. marat_t

marat_t Pro

right, I'm not very good familiar with IIS, but you probably should start with site bindings to check if there are IP address restrictions (should be "All Unassigned"), then google =)