How to best troubleshoot performance issues in Win 11 ARM on Mac M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnD63, Mar 1, 2022.

1. JohnD63

JohnD63 Bit poster

Hi
    I have started using Parallels recently in connection with my new Mac M1 Max.
    I have installed the Windows VMs that I need now on Windows 11 ARM (64bit). Most of the time everything runs fine and fast. However, when I build a project in IBM Domino Designer (which is Eclipse) then it take several minutes... On VMware Fusion on my 6 year old previous computer it takes seconds....
    I have tried to configure the VMs' CPU and memory as "Automatic" as that is marked as the recommended option. I also added the "Parallels" folder where my VMs are to the Spotlight / Privacy as suggested by another user. But still no joy.
    I have seen it perform Ok a few times - but cannot really pinpoint what was different at those times. At one time I thought it was just after a reboot of the entire machine and the VMs - but cannot reproduce this consistently. Just rebooting the VMs really has no effect...

The Mac itself has 64GB RAM, 2TR SSD disk and the fastest processor - so running one or two Windows VMs should not push it near any limits.

What can I do to troubleshoot this so I can get rid of my old machine with the VMware Fusion VMs?

2. JohnD63

JohnD63 Bit poster

No-one????
    At the moment I have to have an old Intel based Mac with VMware Fusion running next to the new computer to do some work in a decent time... From the pattern I have a feeling that disk access (possible to a shared folder but not limited to that) seems to just take for ages....
    I would really appreciate som ideas on how to confirm that that is the problem - or just as good that it is not the problem - so I can test further for a solution. But at the moment my Windows in Parallels is not really usable :-(

3. SimonT16

SimonT16 Bit poster

I have a similar experience. I am running Excel within Parallels to run some pretty simple power query activities. Takes 7-8 mins within Parallels. On a standalone Windows machine its takes seconds. Something in parallels needs work. Mac is M1 Max with 64gb. Standalone machine is 6 years old and has 32gb. Both virtual and standalone running Windows 11.

4. JohnD63

JohnD63 Bit poster

Since one of the updates a month or two ago it has been much faster and is now usable :)

5. SimonT16

SimonT16 Bit poster

Wish I could say the same - what settings are you running with?

6. JohnD63

JohnD63 Bit poster

Well, there are a few :)
    I was just trying to see if I could find a config file instead of going through all of the config. screens....
    • Optimisation: No limit
    • CPU & Memory: Auto
    • Graphics: Scaled
    • Disk: SATA 0:1 - Enabled Trim
    • Not encrypted nor isolated from Mac
    • Not backed up automatically by Time Machine