How to change VM settings

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Rob G, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Rob G

Rob G Junior Member

Hi,

I have what feels like a silly little problem, but which nevertheless is stopping me making any changes to my VM configuration. I'm running Windows XP in Parallels Desktop 3 under Mac OS X 10.5.6.

I have the Windows VM set to automatically boot up on launching Parallels, and also Parallels to automatically quit on shutting down the Windows VM. The problem is, I want to edit the VM configuration (in particular, I no longer want it to connect to the CD/DVD drive by default), but I can't get into the settings: if I try to edit the VM while it's running, it tells me I have to stop the VM first, but as soon as I stop the VM, Parallels quits. As soon as I run Parallels again, the VM immediately launches and I can't edit it. Vicious circle.

Hoping someone can help – thanks in advance.

Rob

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Rob G,

You can force the virtual machine not to start when running Parallels Desktop by keeping the Command (Apple) button pressed while running the application. If you have several virtual machines and select them from the virtual machine menu, then you should keep the Command button pressed while selecting it from there.

3. Rob G

Rob G Junior Member

Flagg,

Thanks – I knew there must be an obvious way to do this!

Rob