How to connect across a LAN to a server running in a Windows virtual machine?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ParallelsU93, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ParallelsU93

ParallelsU93 Bit poster

I have a server running in a Windows 10 virtual machine (VM) that I want to access using a client application (Surround SCM) from a workstation on the same local area network (LAN).

I have installed the Mac version of Surround SCM on the same host machine that's running the server in the Windows VM. The Mac application finds the server with no problem simply by including the server name and the IP address of the Windows virtual machine (10.211.55.1). However, the same Mac version of Surround SCM running on another Mac on the LAN can't find the server using the same information. I assume it's because Windows (through Parallels Desktop) isn't advertising the server on the LAN. Consequently, my connection request doesn't know which machine on the LAN is hosting the server.

If I could somehow include the IP address of the Mac that's running Parallels Desktop (192.168.0.xx) plus the address of the Windows VM (10.211.55.1) in the connection request, that would do the trick. But I don't know whether such a syntax is possible.

Alternatively, if that's not possible, then I need to tell the Mac (or Parallels Desktop) that any connection request to port 4900 should be forwarded to the Windows VM at 10.211.55.1.

What's the best way to do that?

Thanks!