How to disable sound sending to parallels desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MatthewS26, Aug 31, 2020.

1. MatthewS26

MatthewS26 Bit poster

Hello all.
    Instead of sending the sound to VM windows, I want to keep the sound output under mac OS, cause I want to hear music from Mac's app instead of playing them on the VM win10 side, how can I do that?
    Also everytime when I close the VM, I have to reboot in order to normally play in my mac side.. this is very annoying.
    Thank you very much.

AndresH and TimothyL7 like this.
  2. Please open the virtual machine configurations -> go to Hardware-> Sound -> Sound Output-> choose disable and check the issue.
    Please let us know if it's not that case.

3. MatthewS26

MatthewS26 Bit poster

Please, I really need help on this one

4. Hello, would you like to have sound on your VM side? Disabling sound output doesn't work for you, right?

5. MatthewS26

MatthewS26 Bit poster

Correct, disabling sound output doesn't work.
    I dont need sound on the VM side, I only need sound on my mac side.
    Thanks a lot!

6. If you just turn off sound on the VM side, will it work for you?

7. MatthewS26

MatthewS26 Bit poster

no it wont, if i mute sound on VM side, my mac side will still be muted.
    And strangest thing is sometimes this problem won't appear, may 2 out of 5 times sound can play normally on mac side.

8. TimS25

TimS25 Bit poster

I have a similar issue when using parallels. I can sometimes get a full day without having this issue, but more often than not, after about an hour I don't get any sound. This is without a doubt the biggest issue I have encountered whilst using a windows 10 VM with version 16. same as above, I have disabled the VM sound option, but still get the same problem.

The only thing that seems to fix the audio issue is a reboot of the actual Macbook. Very strange issue.

9. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@TimS25 Did you try removing and re adding Sound option from virtual machine configuration?

10. TimS25

TimS25 Bit poster

I have tried disabling the windows VM sound options but the issue still persists. There doesn't seem to be a particular trigger for the sound to stop working, it just happens at a random time. The only way I have found to fix the issue is to restart the whole Macbook Pro. Sometimes not even the headphone jack works either.

11. petera28

petera28 Bit poster

I have this same issue
    The sound and microphone on the Mac just stop working.
    If I shut down parallels it comes back
    It started a week ago after I changed the output device on my windows vm instead of on the Mac
    Has anyone been able to fix this?

12. TimothyL7

TimothyL7 Bit poster

I have the same problems. If I shut the sound off on the VM's Parralles still attempts to connect sound on startup of these vm's. The results is my mac loses control of the sound. The booting of the vm supersedes any other sound configuration. My mac loses control of sound. Then for about 30 second my sound if very compressed sounds my music is playing on a 65 year old AM radio. Only after theses interruption I can go onto my mac drop the Bluetooth headphone connection then reconnect it to get control of my headphone. This happen in every type of VM I have tried (ubuntu,Fedora, kali, windows) Having uninterrupted sound is the most important feature for me. I'm a DevOps engineer and and I cycle VM between 10 to 20 times a day.

13. AndresH

AndresH Bit poster

I have this same issue: Mac applications that use sound have defaulted to Parallels Access Sound. This is a serious inconvenience every time I need to meet using Teams, Messenger, Zoom, Facetime, basically any kind of communication requiring sound. Can Parallels fix this so that sound use by Parallels remains confined to the Virtual Machines?