How to disable spotlight on all USB drives

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by David Lethe, Dec 8, 2012.

1. David Lethe

David Lethe Bit Poster

How in the heck do I disable spotlight from indexing any USB-attached drives whenever I mount them? I can take a fresh new USB, plug it into my mac running windows as the guest O/S, tell parallels to assign the USB to windows, but it still indexes it.

I don't see any settings in Parallels that addresses disabling indexing on USB devices (or for that matter macs). My spotlight is even set up to disable indexing on "Volumes", but I fear that parallels is somehow breaking this due to my settings.

My sharing options for the Windows VM are:
    Security: everything unchecked, including the "Isolate Mac from Windows"
    Backup: TimeMachine - unchecked, so it does back up via time machine, Smartguard disabled,
    Sharing: Home folder only, plus one subdirectory, equivalent to the windows "D" drive; shared profile unchecked, smartmount unchecked, access windows folders from mac - unchecked, mount virtual disks to mac desktop checked but greyed out;
    Parallels general settings - USB: When USB device is detected-Ask me what to do Under Permanent assignments, the apple keyboard, isight, and bluetooth host controller#2 all connected to computer.

Note i do use time machine, but any new stick gets indexed with spotlight immediately, so at least this happens before time machine is run on the virtual windows machine.